Dragonlaurel's journal- Community Garden

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm excited about it. :lol:
The land it is on belongs to the city and they rent it for almost nothing to the community garden. It was an empty building lot on a residential street.

They charge $10.00 membership fee yearly.
4' x 4' raised bed $10.00 per yearly.
4' x 8' raised bed $20.00 yearly.

Chemical free gardening only! I am not using the term organic, cause it's hard to define these days.

They provide:
the raised beds
good dirt
water- you do your own watering

Here's the basic rule- from my memory:

-The property is fenced and is open morning till 8:00 pm.
-You do your own planting, weeding, watering and harvesting or arrange for a member to tend it for you if you go on vacation.

-Membership can be for an individual, a family, or a group - but only allows access to your raised beds and the common areas. (No messing with other peoples planted stuff, basically).

-You volunteer a little time yearly for the community garden, in addition to what you do for your own part.

-Only legal plants may be grown- or you get kicked out.

-No planting trees in the garden area, because they are considered permanent, and they would shade other plots.

Some very aggressive spreading plants are not allowed. Example- NO KUDZU.

-Provide your own trellises, tomato cages, etc. and they cant be Permanently attached. Use whatever you need to contain your plants to your raised bed.

-If you "abandon" your garden, (Nobody tending it for extended period), the spot can be reassigned for someone else to use.

-Any members can plant in the common areas, but the common areas can be tended/harvested by anybody- so that's more for flowers and using up some extra seeds.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great find!

they had a bunch of those where i used to live - everyone loved them

:)

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
This is the first week it's open, and they are still building some beds. I thought about going over there and starting shoveling to make sure my bed got filled up fast. But the sky said NO.

We are having rain, mixed with periods of gray, humid and colder today. For variety there will be periods of heavy storms- and weather bulletins interrupting other broadcasts. Tornado watches also, but this area should be safe. This apartment building is built very strong and also has a basement, just in case.
Oh well, there's always tomorrow. :/ Which is supposed to also be stormy. :barnie I'm gooona have to be an adult about it and practice my patience. :tongue

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Man what a GREAT little deal! You can grow a ton of food in a 4x8 plot!

I am so excited for you.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Well the first storm was a good one but didn't seem to do any damage here. Then the weather just toyed :he with me till night. The 2nd heavy storm didn't hit here. Just light stuff.
I heard Hope, Ark. had more going on. Hope they are all fine.

Still supposed to storm tomorrow too. At least it's clearing the air for me. My sinuses were not happy lately about something that's been blooming. Finding the silver lining now. :)

Noobie- Is she in Hot Springs? I can give you the number for her to call about a garden spot. PM me if she's interested.

Old Fashioned- That's how I was feeling earlier.

Farmfresh- " You can grow a ton of food in a 4x8 plot! "
I sure hope so. :fl We have a dehydrator and it could get me canning. Barely started canning, but it would be great to fill the pantry with home grown good stuff.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, if you lived closer to me I'd share my garden with ya......of course, you'd have to do all the weeding........ :p

Latest posts