Dragonlaurel's journal- Community Garden

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would find out how the neighbor's dogs got the previous does, to see if that is an issue that will come up again. Do they have electric fencing? If not, you could offer to add a wire, it is pretty inexpensive.

I would ask them if they are interested in having a lactating doe again. I would share with you in a heartbeat if you would cover for me when I go away and when I work late and pay for the expenses. Remember, of course, that there are expenses even when the goat is not lactating.

Those are the first things you need to know, after that, there will be a zillion questions if you are satisfied that the possibility exists.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Dace-
I just got lucky and made friends with somebody that happens to have a bit bigger yard than most and a few bigger pets. ;) You could post on Craig's list or put a note up at a feed store that you would like someone to keep a goat for you. The nearest Extension office might know a going rate for keeping them. Are there any CSA's near you? Those people might be open to the idea.
Check your local laws so you know how to go about things - and how quiet to keep if they say yes.

Free-
Their fences looked good actually. No electric but chest high (on me) and no sagging or leaning that I could see. No spots that looked like dogs could tunnel under either. I was really paying attention that day, because I want to do it myself.

If you were closer to me, I'd take you up on it in a minute. I'm worried that they are too far for me even. They are about half an hour drive away. I don't have a car. Well that's a big hole in this plan.
I'll see them at least monthly at meetings so maybe I could buy or barter for fresh produce or eggs and drop hints about goat milk. That way if they want to try again, they'll know there's interest.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
This weather is nuts. Hot Springs barely gets any snow. :hu Yeah right. :rolleyes: Most years we might have a little once near Christmas, then maybe once in Feb. It might even stick overnight- but look at it quick in case you miss it. Our cold wet stuff is usually sleet- not snow.

We had a few flakes in December- pretty on schedule. This is the third snow here in less than 2 weeks! Okay Mama Nature, what's going on????

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I started my seeds for spring. :ya Big experiment and hoping for the best. Looked up the companion plant groups and combined the seeds in pots with their "buddies". It was night when the seeds were getting planted, so it's gonna be a mystery exactly which stuff is which till it starts growing.
Plan on transplanting each pots contents as a family into bigger areas, once they're ready. There's extra seeds for replanting later if it turns out a disaster but they are just barely starting to sprout. :ya

Unrelated question-
I want to get a manual grinder. I want to make my own Tahini, sunflower butter, pumpkin seed butter- since most brands of these are high risk with a peanut allergy. They are very expensive too, so a cheap grinder would pay for itself easily. Steel burrs are needed for grinding wet or oily stuff.

I would like to be able to grind flour also. Does anybody know which brands/models would be a good choice that are low cost. (under $ 50.00)
Stones are better for grinding flour, so if they have stones that you can switch off with the burrs - that would be great.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check out Lehmans Hardware in Kidron Ohio. They have a website but I'm not sure exact wording since we are close enough to shop in person. They are a hardware store that started out serving the Amish communiity in Holmes Co. Ohio and have lots of non-electric and back to the homestead type products. Good people to deal with and I'm sure that they have all levels of grain mills.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
A community garden just opened up down the street! :ya :weee :ya I joined and will have a small raised bed. The lady that started the garden just built the frame this week, and it still needed the dirt in it. I should be able to start planting it within the week.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What GREAT news!! I wish more communities would do that kind of thing, there is so much need for it. :weee

If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us the specifics of the deal. How much space/how long/ how much/what kind of contracts/What do they provide?

If I am ever blessed with some land in the future I have always thought I would like to do something like this.