Dreamer Living off Social Security

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks PG. Good idea about the edible plants.

My aquarium history: At one time I had 14 tanks, 9 of which were in my basement, raising multiple broods of angel fish from a single breeding pair. 2 primary upstairs tanks were VHO lighting, CO2 supplemented, heavily planted. Every couple of months, I'd harvest a bucket full of plants and live bearers and trundle them off to my favorite pet store. The intent with the angel fish fry was to grow them out and sell them to a ready market of aquarium stores. At least that was the intent when I started my venture, and every pet store I contacted told me they would buy the babies in lots of 25 - 50! 900 babies later, when first group was ready to go, the responses I got from all stores: "We just bought angels, call back next month." It took me 18 months to unload all those angels! I barely broke even, given the expense of electricity to light and heat all those tanks. Had intended the profits to pay for my son's college education!

You have the advantage of living in a much warmer climate.

As for Tilapia: I used to really enjoy it. But the last few times I ate it, not so much. Agreed, a food source can not be any better than what goes into growing it. In China, they actually recycle feed through chicken butts, which are kept in cages over the tilapia tanks. Nuff said!

Catfish are a viable option for AP.

If you and I ever got a chance to sit down and enjoy a meal together, it would be the middle of next week before we had exhausted the topics that interest us!

My experience with duck weed: highly invasive. I meticulously picked every single little plantlet off the water surface to keep it from blocking light from the rest of the tank. However, in the right application, duck week would be an incredible protein source. I believe when unchecked, it doubles it's area at least every week.

Agreed, some species of algae are a sign of healthy water. I had a lot of fighting with the black hair algae. Left the good stuff on the back and sides of the tank. Love a good plecostamos. There could be profit in growing some of the easier tropical fish for sale to the fish trades. Plecostamos would be a good option. A large one can sell for up to $25.00.

Research: I beat any subject to death, before moving on to a new one. I find that the learning is as much fun as, if not more fun than the doing.

No tanks going now. I cleared all that stuff out when I started doing research on poultry keeping. So, it is with trepidation that I am planning to venture back into the "wet world". Knowing that I have a limited amount of time, money and energy.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The beauty of Tilapia is they are mouth brooders.... After the eggs are laid and firtilized on a cleaned stratum then the female scoops up the eggs and Keeps them there till they hatch... Then when they all hatch she spits them out occasionally on forrays. where she will finally grab a bite to eat. but let some thing set off the alarm and all the fry zoom back to momma... They will do that till they cant all fit in her mouth.... :lol:
For what its worth Tilapia come from lake Malawai in Africa.. There are several species of Tilapia and Several species that have the same strategy. all in the same lake. I have no idea which species this is because colors change as they get older.... Juvie fish tend to be pale and or camouflaged.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some AP folks buy all male Tilapia so they don't have issues with multiple aged fry in the tanks. However, IF I was raising Tilapia, I think I'd WANT to be raising replacements. Perhaps keep a tank of males and a tank of females, (if that strategy is possible) so I could control the reproduction. (if that strategy is possible) OR, have a ready supply of fry for chicken feed.
the All male suppliers use genetic modification to assure their fry are male.

I figured that one female would keep me supplied in Fish for the year providing they all lived. LOL So one pair of breeders kept in the house would be sufficient. You can introduce the fry at an age that is large enough to be comfortable free swimming.... Then put up screens to draw off the fry... Females will brood at about two to two and a half inches long. Oh... that could be problematic.

ME Needs more research...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, that's why some folks just raise males. I don't know how difficult they are to sex. If they breed at such a young age/size, it would be difficult to ensure the water quality to keep them growing at the optimum rate. Not to mention, I think they'd be putting their energy into reproduction at the expense of providing good eats to go with your AP salad.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think they'd be putting their energy into reproduction at the expense of providing good eats to go with your AP

I think thats the key... Once you have been around a certain breed of fish a while you get experienced at Sexing them.... There are differences...

Ok a quick read of the link says they become sexually mature at four inches.... The way to determine gender is illustrated very well at the bottom of the page.... Not so difficult.... I think the difficulty would be in Time if you have several fingerlings to go through. But I think one could Determine gender on enough for your own Growout tank. For what its worth Canning fish isnt very difficult... Nor will chickens reject fish in their diet.

https://lakewaytilapia.com/how-to-sex-tilapia.php

deb

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep I will depend on people like you to determine the solar panel draw and power consumption. The windmill will be as a part of an energy experiment... Learning curve. I am incapable of climbing a ladder Efficency is definatly with the three blade Airfoil type windmills. But the blade arc circumfrence requires that the blades need to be at least fifteen feet off the ground. For safety.... Then another fifteen feet to the hub.... Drive shaft diameter is What.... three or four inches?: Gear box about the size of a Riding lawn mower engine?

Then there is the control of the device keeping it turned into the wind. Either by Tail fin... Static... or by computer with a motor and gearbox itself. The Best Blades feather when the wind gets too strong... eventually completely and locked down for gale force winds... Which we get... Passive feathering requires the blade to twist on its own.... Controlled feathering is again by computer.... again another motor.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is very little torque on the shaft it directly drives the brushes.... If I understand your question sorry I figured the big hitters would be in eventually.

71tRO4hSCcL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh sheesh I got interupted mid post. Short story He asked what kind of twist would be on the hub or power to be given to the motor... I got involved in descrirbing that I would get help... cause I am a gear head not a sparky.

The actual hub on this smaller windmill is different. Torque on it will be very slight... because there is no drive shaft. Or Generator as most people think of one.

Electrical generation comes from the windmill its self... The brushes for electrical generation are within the base of the winmill ...

All it means is less equipment the more simple the easier it is to maintain...

deb

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep I will depend on people like you to determine the solar panel draw and power consumption. The windmill will be as a part of an energy experiment... Learning curve. I am incapable of climbing a ladder Efficency is definatly with the three blade Airfoil type windmills. But the blade arc circumfrence requires that the blades need to be at least fifteen feet off the ground. For safety.... Then another fifteen feet to the hub.... Drive shaft diameter is What.... three or four inches?: Gear box about the size of a Riding lawn mower engine?

Then there is the control of the device keeping it turned into the wind. Either by Tail fin... Static... or by computer with a motor and gearbox itself. The Best Blades feather when the wind gets too strong... eventually completely and locked down for gale force winds... Which we get... Passive feathering requires the blade to twist on its own.... Controlled feathering is again by computer.... again another motor.

Seems a lot of expense to generate 100 ~ 400 watts of power. But I guess every little bit helps to keep the battery bank topped off. Who inverter are you using and how may volts is your battery bank?