Dreamer Living off Social Security

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was also thinking of Kangals they too have a shorter coat.
There is a breeder here that crosses them with Aussies
I have heard from a very experienced LGD person that crossing an LGD breed with a herding breed rarely brings good results. She says that each dog's genetics lead it to do what they were bred for. LGD's guard - Aussies herd. She says the dog is always in conflict - and I guess I can see why. Personally I think dogs can be influenced by training, but I am certainly no expert.

However - I love your choice of breeds! I have an Anatolian Shepherd, a Great Pyrenees and an English Shepherd. I live south of Houston and it gets very hot and very humid here. The longer haired GP handles it fine. She's a 'diggity dog' and will dig herself a nice cool hole and/or spend time in the pond every day in the heat. She and the Anatolian are great protectors for the goats with totally different ways of doing things. The GP is a "big picture" dog and is actually more of a farm protector. Everything is her business, lol. The Anatolian is definitely a goat guard. He loves his goats, stays with them all the time and doesn't tolerate anything or anybody messing with his charges. He doesn't let the pigs or the horses around the goats at feeding time. He loves the kids and lets them climb all over him and mourns when we lose one. He's pretty fantastic!

Gracie, my English Shepherd, is an awesome dog. She will herd, she will kill varmints, or she will lay at my feet inside and be content doing any and all of the above. I love, love, love this dog. However, they (at least she) is a very intense dog. I'm sure they're not all as intense as she is. She has a tendency to use her teeth while herding and I've not been able to stop her from that. It works well on the pigs - not so much on the goats. She's smart as a whip and loves to please - and she's a great Frisbee dog too! She is the dog that keeps my grandkiddos entertained at all times!

I hope you find exactly what you're looking for when the time comes!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a friend in North Carolina that had lamas, he died of cancer. I didn't his lamas much at all. They eat just about anything including bark off trees. You'll need to put heavy guage fence wire around your trees or they will ring them all and kill them. Also they spit and that's how I was intoduced to them, spitting at me. They have pretty good aim too. They also stink a funky smell like no other animals i've smelt before. He would shear them twice a year like sheep and sell the hair - what stinky lama hair is good for, i don't know. He also had to separate the stud lama away from the females in it own pasture or it would kick him. I think there are better animals for packing. A donkey comes to mind and you could even name it Oboma :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I love people who write volumes! So, you are not living on your property at this time? Bless you for being with your grandmother!

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! I love people who write volumes! So, you are not living on your property at this time? Bless you for being with your grandmother!
she is 102 born in 1916. Only just now slipping into Old age dimentia... On occasion. other than that shes a pistol. Talks on the phone like a teen ager especially if its male. I have a cousin in Alabama that calls her every day... They talk for hours on the phone and I swear she sounds like shes talking to a boy friend.

deb

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's awesome! She sounds like a hoot. I saw a clip on tv the other day about a centenarian who swears that her secret to long life is bourbon, lol. Go figure...
Good genes... When she was born they were living in a dug out in Colorado. Her Mom and dad were homesteading 220 acres of land. Great Grandpa farmed it with Mules. Great Grandma, after having had eleven babies nine that lived, was the Midwife for the county they lived in. Never had a car So when It came time to deliver a baby The Postman would come and get her and take her to go deliver a baby.

Grandma fired three husbands.. Grandpa Fred was her last one and the only one that I really knew. Moms dad passed when I was about twelve. Grandma was a Rosie the riveter in WWII and one of the first women who was offered a job in engineering at the Airforce base when the War Was over.

Thats where she met Grandpa.

Oops shes up gotto fix her breakfast

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I loved reading about you- you sound like someone I'd like to spend time with...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What an amazing history! No wonder she likes to talk - she has lots of stories to tell and lots to say!

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@perchie.girl Nice to see you here!
Looking forward to reading your adventures.

I have moments where I wish I were single and living as I want to live. Having a DH, whom I love tremendously, also means that I have to compromise my wants sometimes. He is an engineer and his way is always best, cough-cough-gag!
Sometimes, when he takes over one of my projects to "help", I feel like strangling him instead of smiling sweetly.
Been there done that.... with a boyfriend... Dad was an engineer but he tended to do NOTHING at home. Once mom got tired of asking him so she bought a sawzall and cut a hole in the living room wall to put an air conditioner in.... All the while he was changing the channels on the TV with the remote...

Gotto love em cant push em off the pier..... When she got "done" he went in and framed out the hole so it would support the Air-conditioner...

Dad and I built our first color TV.... He advised physicists on how to construct their experiments... He was an automation Master... Yet the house would have fallen down around us if mom hadn't picked up the ball. SMH

deb