Dreaming of Chickens - Rocky and Carlo's

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, Except we went ahead and pulled most of it up, but, we had lots of volunteers come up, especially around the chicken coop. haha, its topping 70 today, and 72 tommorow, thats 40 above avg. which my parents have never seen. So some pretty weird weather for sure.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm in Jersey, and the ground STILL isn't frozen. It was briefly, but that's been it. If I wasn't on crutches, I could go out now and work in my garden, very unusual for this time of year. And when I have been outside, I've seen insects. Yesterday, I'm almost positive I saw a frog in my pond.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Here in MD not too far from Deb and the reservoir hasn't frozen over yet, either. But our worst of winter usually comes between January and February, so we're heading into what is usually the worst time. Two years ago it was the week of February 6th that we got hit with the double record breaking storms, so we could be in for something more soon...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bonjour,
I'm late coming on. I'm not from N.O. I'm about 50 miles south of N.O. Nice to see you neighbor. We don't exactly speak the same, but its all good.
Yeah, I'm itching to get started with my planting too. And sorry you guys, but I have not lost the green in my yard completely this winter. I was out, just a few hours ago, cleaning around the hives and thinking on increasing the garden. If my body could do all my mind thinks of, I'd be dangerous. I'm in Cut Off, btw.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I got home from school tonight and found our dogs in the back yard with a dead possum. This is like 6 in the past year. I've been keeping score and it was dogs 5 - possums 1. No, the possums didn't kill a dog. They got a point for successfully taking over our back storage shed. The dogs will never regain that lost ground because the possums stay up on the shelves. :p Well, tonight the possums get another point. Beaux was wounded in action. Not badly, but he has a small tear on his ear and a small cut above his eye. This is our first injury, so, given this latest development I think a new point system is in order. We will give 2 points for a kill or for taking over territory and 1 point for inflicting injury. So that makes the current score dogs 12 - possums 3. Seriously though, I am always a little sad when they kill a possum. Hubby and I both think they are kinda cute (we may be the only people on earth who think so). He even tried to make friends with one that was always in our carport. I told him that if that possum ripped his face off he was taking himself to the hospital 'cause I wasn't running up there in the middle of the night because he did something really stupid. We do try to only let Beaux out while supervised because there are critters out there and because I am afraid he may go over the fence to go after one. Ricky can't get over the fence. He's too little, but I have to worry about a possum hurting if Beaux isn't around because he's only 19 lbs and some of the possums are bigger than him. But you can't always go out there and watch them in the yard and my husband let them out for a few minutes tonight and now the world has one less possum in it and both dogs got baths. Well, Dogs will be dogs.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, that's just not nice. It's still winter here, and you have tomatoes ripening. :rant :hide

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
OK, that's just not nice. It's still winter here, and you have tomatoes ripening. :rant :hide
:D sorry. I am actually surprised. These are last years plants that didn't do anything at all and in December they decided to start flowering. We had an exceptionally warm winter, even for this area. So, really I'm not ahead of you, I'm way behind! ;)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, that makes me feel better. :lol:

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know this isn't self sufficiency related, but I know a few of the members here are from the S.E. Louisiana area and would want to know about this.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/fire_damages_rocky_and_carlos.html

From what I hear it is just the kitchen. The rest of the building is still in tact. In fact, I drove right by it on my way to work and didn't notice anything. I got to work and one of my co-workers told me about it. They rebuilt after Katrina, so I'm sure they will do it again. This place, although located in Chalmette, is a New Orleans area treasure.