Duckling update~we're done at 2!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just one really. The two ducklings hatched on the 22nd. There are still at least a dozen eggs under mama. Any chance more may still hatch? I can see one is cracked at the top, not like a pip, like it got bumped and chipped. If there's no chance for more should I remove the eggs and leave mama and ducklings in their nest area? (Okay that's 2 after all) The little ones were more adventurous today. We'll be at a Scout campout most of tomorrow and overnight into Sunday. I think maybe Sunday I'll let them check out their paint tray beach. It should be up in the 80s by then. This evening I went down for lock-up and the dark one was sitting on Mama's back. I posted pictures on my journal thread. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=726&p=375

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldwait a day or two before chunking the eggs. My goose and duck both laid for about a week after they started setting. My ducklings are due to start in about 3 days if the mule doesn't get in her nest and break eggs again!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, I'll give it a few more days. Still nothing this morning but Edna is looking like she's covering the nest and less willing to come of it than she had been. I let her be. I'm going to bring her a big bucket of water in a bit so she can get a drink. She hasn't been eating the ducklings' food. I don't know how she's surviving. Must be living off the cuteness of her babies!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, this morning there are 4 eggs not in the nest. Is it likely Edna knows they're not fertile and has pushed them out? The ducklings will be a week old tomorrow. Should we get Edna off the nest and get all the other eggs out of there at this point? Thanks, any help is appreciated!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Id get all them out ASAP I wouldnt want them to bust on me........that would be bad. What kind of crosses or pures did you hatch?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They all started incubation at the same time? I've had a few days' variation (up to 4 I think) in hatching viable babies. Almost a week late and kicked out of the nest?

If that's the case, I think I would pull the eggs. Being me, I'd probably candle them. And depending what I saw from candling, I'd open them one by one and make sure I wasn't discarding any ducklings. But a week late -- I'd say probably not.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And BB has a good point. They may all be stinky goo. I'd open them carefully and be prepared for that, since I'd hate to be wrong and toss babies. Rotten eggs ARE nasty, but ... I've dealt with a good many of them busting and I guess IMO it's not the end of the world and I'd open them anyway.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mix of Blue Swedish, Khaki Campbell and supposedly runner. (3 of my ducks are supposed to be half Blue Swedish and half runner duck. They just look like really pale Blue Swedish to me. One of those is the broody duck.)
I'll pull them all tomorrow when I've got help distracting mama Edna and the coop side of the barn is empty except for Edna and the babies.
Thanks!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Mix of Blue Swedish, Khaki Campbell and supposedly runner. (3 of my ducks are supposed to be half Blue Swedish and half runner duck. They just look like really pale Blue Swedish to me. One of those is the broody duck.)
I'll pull them all tomorrow when I've got help distracting mama Edna and the coop side of the barn is empty except for Edna and the babies.
Thanks!
They sound pretty!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Henrietta23 said:
Thanks!
They sound pretty!
We shall see since it looks like they're staying!