Ducks - are they worth it?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw a Craigslist ad for Black East Indie ducks which got me interested in ducks. After looking more into the ducks, the Welsh Harlequin also interest me. So are ducks worth having? How messy are they really? They would probably be confined in the winter since we can get some bad weather. Are the eggs and meat worth it? What kind of care is involved?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* runs out the door, scoops up a peck of ducks, put them in the truck, gravel flies....*

i'll be right there!

;-)

yes i love them. really. messy? yes... but they make up for it by keeping the bugs down. and the cuteness. compared to chickens they are extremely easy keepers.

ours stay in only in the coldest winter days.

run dont walk to get some ducks.

the Storey's guide is really good.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We haven't got eggs yet, and in spite of their loudness I love 'em. They are hysterically funny to watch and forage really well.
I was thinking of selling a trio of my Welsh Harlequins - if you are interested I'll save them for you. I just don't need as many as I have, especially if they decide to brood nest year. Mine are 16 weeks old now (I think, I'll have to look at the calender)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey java! give her Fran!!!

hee hee hee hee

;-)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
YES!!!!!

I love my messy little noisemakers :D

My favorite breed? Welsh Harlequins. I have 7.

The breed I would get if the neighbors complained about the noise? Muscovies.

Maybe you need some of both :D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yeah - muscovies for meat and welsh for eggs!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Javamama. i am just thinking about it right now and probably wouldn't be ready until spring if I decide to do it. Will you have more next spring?

So Harlequins are loud? hmmm. On the Metzer Farm site, they said that they were the calmest bird on their farm. But I guess that may not mean that they are the quietest! :D

I have to admit that the messiness scares me. It was hard enough to get used to the mess from the goats and chickens. How much worse are they than chickens?

So they are ok out on snow? Even if the snow is so deep there is no way to forage?

Can they be housed with chickens? Can they eat the same feed?

I will have to get that Storey's duck book and start reading.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
By the way, how is the duck business in Ohio? Is it easy to sell ducklings and eggs?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have no idea on the duck business in OH. We got them for 4-H projects. I plan to have plenty in spring, but that depends on them reproducing. They haven't figured out the whole romance thing yet :p
I keep mine separate from the chickens for the single reason that they drain the waterer any chance they get. They just love to play in the chicken water :rolleyes:
The mess they make is different and always involves water. In essence, if they have a chance to make mud, they will. But you can keep it to a minimum by only giving them what they need. Until it rains.

Yes, I would say they are calm. But they are NOT quiet. But chickens and roosters are not quiet either. It's all relative. I call all my girls Fran - after Fran Drescher. Because that's what they sound like. It's funny :lol:

I would guess they are fine on snow just like chickens. And yes, they eat the same food. I have mine on flockraiser.