Ducks - are they worth it?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I never had snow but mine swam every day of the year, even if they had to wait on me to break the ice. They preferred being out in storms but I did coop them. I wouldn't put them with chickens unless you have a LOT of space and can put a non-messy water source or else put water far from chickens. Ducks LOVE to play in water and will make a regular coop too wet for chickens' health. FWIW Ive seen folks put water on the other side of chain link for ducks so they can get their bills deeply in the water but not make much mess. No method I ever tried works as well as that.

I had lots of chickens and not too many ducks so they didn't really add to the mess factor. That was ranging in a large grassy area though. In a small area or on dirt they are extremely messy. But not so bad as geese, IMO, and the poo is no worse than chickens, again IMO.

I had a runner duck that was a fabulous layer. Also VERY noisy. My Swedes were neither as noisy nor as good of layers. Nor as aggressive, but an aggressive duck is not really a scary thing anyway. Just funny really. All were great foragers and really knocked out the bugs. I had heard good things about guineas regarding insect control, and maybe my guineas will get better but honestly my ducks were much better.

I couldn't get every animal I wanted started this, my first year here. Ducks got pushed aside because I only wanted one baby poultry run. But they are at the top of my list now for the next one to be added.

And they really are great fun to watch. I don't know about market. A few people bought duck eggs for bakng and a few who were allergic to chicken eggs, they said. But mostly I raised them for myself.

I will get different breeds myself next time. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Over the years my mom and I have had Runners, Pekins, Swedes, Cayugas, Rouens, 'Mallards' (domesticated version I guess), Aylesburies, Welsh Harlequins, Appleyards, Khaki Campbells, Buffs, and Muscovies. Oh and blue wing teal that we raised from eggs and released.

My personal favorites are the Muscovies, they are quiet, usually very easy going, hardy, great setters (great layers if you keep taking the eggs), I must say that I have never eaten any yet, so unfortunately I can't comment there =\ Otherwise, they come in all sorts of colors! You also do not NEED to have a source of water for them to put their bodies in, apparently they do well without that.

My next favorites are the Swedes, ours were and are great layers, average in regards to noise, beautiful, and friendly.

I think Cayugas, Buffs, and the Harlequins would come next on my list. I remember the Cayugas to be very similar to the Swedes, but they have the black eggs which were always very cool. Our buffs didn't seem to be the greatest layers in comparison to others and are louder but but very lovable and VERY plush and soft. I had a pair of Harlequins but the female molted one fall and has had male plumage since, so I cannot comment on their egg laying abilities really.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Harlequins, runners and khakis are egg laying champs. Buffs lay closer to 200 eggs a year, while the other breeds listed lay 300+. Personality wise, buffs are pretty darn entertaining. I and others have noticed they tend to be really nosy, but also really friendly. I only sold mine because she was LOUD!!!! Yes, even louder than a loud Harlequin.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love my ducks! I have 4 Khaki Kambells. 3 hens and a drake. Loud?? Hmmm, not any worse than the roosters. They are a hoot to watch out in the yard, chaseing grasshoppers! Oh, and once you start getting those big squishy tomato bugs...you know the ones, as long as your finger, green, yukky?? Ducks LOVE them! Yup, they suck em down like a noodle! :sick My 4 have a yard about 15 x 20, with a small pond a swimming pool....and thier duck chalet! I let them out in the morning to forage the property. Mine eat Layer pellets, same as the chickens...along with scratch grains occasionally.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:lol:
SANY1009sm.jpg

They're so darn cute!
Mine are Muscovies. They live with the chickens, they're super calm, and LOVE bugs, the girls give a little squeek when they see a bug and rush off after it.
They are fine in winter, they are more hardy I think than the chickens, they're the first out of the coop and will even sit in the snow, it doesn't seem to bother them although I worry about their feet getting too cold.

35237_1450204007410_1002520499_31311161_6972676_n.jpg

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sorry to be a thread hijacker, but what do the muscovies taste like? I am keen to get some once we get our little farm, hopefully in just a few short months now:D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Flossy, I can answer that and stay right on topic, because that is what I was going to suggest, muscovy, because they taste so good.

We got chickens last year and got ducks this year, muscovy and cayuga. The cayuga proved to be quarrelsome so we sold them at a nice profit, very pretty, gorgeous in fact, but ours disrupted the flock overall. I do miss hearing the quack however.
The muscovy are very very quiet, good natured and lay nice eggs. And the meat is really really good, a gourmet treat. We had it for dinner tonight! It would remind one more of a gamey prime rib. If you cook it right it isn't gamey.

We bought the cayuga for eggs but found the muscovy eggs are larger and taste the same. We are getting almost an egg a day from our five muscovy girls and we hope to raise more next year, because we saved a drake. We ordered the white ones from J.M. Hatchery and are very very pleased with our order. Muscovy do not quack, and don't need to swim much.They do eat lots of bugs, we are especially happy when we see them chasing mosquitos. They love water and do swim but mostly drink a lot and make a sloppy mess. And you have to get used to the ugly caruncles the males have!

Ducks are messier than chickens and it would probably be best to house them apart because of the messiness with the water. Ours have their own houses but a mutual yard. Ducks have stickier, smellier poop and I really disliked the brooder stage. The more room they have the better and they require more space than chicks at the same age. They also require more food, or at least the duck breed we chose. Ducks don't seem to mind the weather and when your chickens are hiding in the coop, the ducks are still out foraging.

The young drakelings grew incredibly fast and were ready to process at 12 weeks, and they were turning annoying and mean by then so we were happy to send them to freezer camp. We kept the least aggressive drake and he is a nice guy.

Overall we are very pleased with our investment. We ended up with seven for the freezer. With the sale of the cayugas much of our expenses were recouped and we have six muscovy with which to breed more next year, in the meantime we are getting eggs and they forage well so don't eat a ton anymore. J.M. Hatchery......

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit that if I do decide to get ducks, I will have to like the looks of them. I just don't like the looks of the muscovies. What has turned me off a bit from the black east indies ducks is that every place I have read about them says they are fliers. If anything would fly into the area where the dogs are, they are dead. So I would want something that does pretty much stay on the ground and isn't mean too.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have ducks, 3 Cayugas, 4 Welsh Harlequins, and 7 Runners. I have to be honest I love my ducks although I have too many and have some listed for sale right now. The eggs are awesome for baking and for making hamburger steak. Mine are quite demanding and expect their breakfast and dinner at a certian time every day and won't shut up until they get it.

Raising baby ducks is a very messy experince and one I really don't wish to repeat for a long time. Overall I love my ducks and they are very easy to keep.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
ks, that is why I got Harlequins. They fly like bricks :D

Khakis, runners and buffs are also lousy at flying.

If your main reason for getting ducks is egg production, runners or khakis will work. If you want a dual purpose bird, harlequins or buffs.

As for the most friendly non-flier, I would say harlequins.