Dumpster Diving

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, Mackay, I don't actually remove things from the dumpster, per se....just some larger items placed beside them! ;) I'm a nurse, so I'm full aware of the germs from the nursing home...used to work there! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just set up my grow-light stand in the cellar and put some plants under the lights...it was built almost entirely from salvaged wood from a farmer's burn pile. Just had to buy two studs for the four legs. I made it 5' tall and couldn't find anything that long and sturdy in the trash pile.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, I got a chance to dumpster dive tonight!!!

Here's the saga: I had clients at the horseshow at the big fairgrounds nearby and while taking my dog for a potty break, I came across a pile of seedling trays from last year, in a pile of last year's leaves and rabbit poo, in a corner by a fence in the maintainence area. I was too chicken to dumpster dive when and where my clients could see me.....wienie, I know, but....

So my plan was to go back later to watch some evening classes and HOPE that maintainence hadn't cleaned up that area yet....they did not! I could fit 22 in my trunk, I didn't want to risk bringing gigantic spiders into my car, so I didn't put any in the back seat.

They are quite sturdy, and I started to think they would be good to store canning jars in as well as starting seeds and maybe sprouting barley next winter. I took one into the house just now to test the size against the canning jar boxes and.....they are not seed starting trays, they are very sturdy trays for soda cans! They should last me for decades, I can't believe they were thrown away!

Next horse show, I will be found skulking around that area in the dark with a poodle-incognito on a leash....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some cool stuff I have dumpster dived recently:

A black fiberglass camper shell. Plan to use this as the roof for my chicken coop. The front window had been busted, so I'm putting me nest boxes on that end and making a door out of plywood.

Awesome pallets made of 4' 4x4s and 8' 2x6s. HEAVY!
huge bundle of housewrap, the woven poly stuff
Windows
Two 150' rolls of poultry netting
Cardboard boxes for my walkways in the garden
2 dining room chairs from a local resturant (zee are scuffed... *sniff* they must go in zee trash) :lol:
Untold amounts of lumber remnants from a remodel site.

On the lookout for food grade buckets of all sizes.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck
The entire framing of my chicken house is made of pallets!! The big bad wolf couldn't blow it down! (I have tons under the house for more building projects.) Love them!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about posting for pallets on Freecycle. I want to make a fence for my front yard from them. Oh, and a compost bin or two as well. Right now, I just have all my yard trash in one big pile.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I've been thinking about posting for pallets on Freecycle. I want to make a fence for my front yard from them. Oh, and a compost bin or two as well. Right now, I just have all my yard trash in one big pile.
I just gave away my old composter. I just use my garden as the composter. I removed the middle man. If you are interested google Ruth Stout, she inspired me. I have a very happy garden, I also bought worms (400 he he) and tucked them in too. It is a "worm bin and composter garden"!! Might I add there are no weeds to pull either.