East Texas Gardening

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The mini ice age set our mustard greens back but we did get several large messes of them before they started to bolt. Ate a lot fresh and stuck the rest in the freezer for later.

Lost all the cabbage but four and they aren’t looking too good with the heat coming on. Same fate for the turnips too, but such is the way with farming whether it be on a large scale or a few pots. Granny said that you must plant three of everything to make ends meet … one for the birds, one for the bugs, and maybe one for you.

5 1/4 inches of rain and counting .... where oh where did I leave my water wings

Last edited:

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe it was more the drastic change from Texas hot to colder than ice that killed them.
I believe it was more the weight of the snow and ice that mashed them down and broke all the stems up. The mustard greens came back from the center to produce, but the cabbage had golf ball size heads forming that got beat down and turned brown and died. The turnips where beat down like the mustard greens but they just never put on many new leaves after the thaw and just sat there. The four cabbage that survived were runts that hadn't started making heads yet. Might get to harvest them a little small if the heat doesn't get them first.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today is a beautiful sunny day, will reach the high 70’s today. Been relaxing this morning, about to get dressed, go outside and do chores, move sheep around on pasture and tackle tilling the garden. Supposed to be raining later in the week, would like to have a lot done by then.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I didn’t get to rest today …… I have a long narrow bed that I could work up without having to walk in it so I went ahead and got some of the okra and green beans planted. Now I need to cleanup and disinfect all the seed starting equipment since that part is finished for the season.

The wife wants me to try and grow “Micro Greens” under the lights for salads. Think I will spend the rest of the day researching that.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With little frost and a light freeze it may only effect the upper portions of the tree. If at all. Hope they all make a lot of peaches for you.
I hope we get one peach at least. The trees are young, so if they produce no fruit, they'll be able to grow stronger. I've learned that it may take about 2 weeks until the full effects of the frost are known.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is expecting 1-3 inches of water. Hurricane Harvey put 7 FEET of water in the house, washed all the brick off the walls, you could look through the walls. It was awful. So finally just this week she decided to sell and move.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the good vibes. I’m happy that she has made the decision to move. 20+ years, several floods, but now she is alone and older, that’s just too much. Beautiful place, 2 story, 5 bedroom, 1500 square feet of covered deck, out door kitchen, swimming pool, pond, extra detached garage, but it don’t look so good under water. LOL