East Texas Gardening

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are an easy drive to the local lakes and rivers around here but I made certain, many years ago, that we live on a hill. No problem with water .... although we have almost been blown off this dang hill a few times. Nothing is perfect i guess.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All this rain is beginning to be a real drag. Of course we will probably be wishing we had some of it come July or August. It's really making things grow but it is also beating the seedlings down into the ground. Haven't lost any yet but have had to pull most of them back upright at least once ... especially the carrots. Those feather like leaves get caked with mud and bury up good.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so maybe I can get the pepper and tomato plants tied up to their supports before the next big rain comes along. And of course the grass needs mowing too .....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm getting rain here in VA. I need a good watering. Nothing planted yet -- planned for this weekend. Heck, just got it disc up Sun, so ok. No cold crops this spring but can do for Fall. No stress. 🤔;) At this point, just enjoying no grass growing in there 😁

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hit 90 degrees here the other day .... but it has been some kind of wet. Picked up almost 4 inches of rain the last couple of days and now they are threatening us with 6 to 8 inches more today. I was thinking of trying some peanuts but now I think rice might be a better choice. o_O

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s in the 60’s here, low 50’s at night. Raining. But nothing like you’ve had. You need a boat! Just tie it to the porch rail to keep it handy. LOL LOL

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just watched Mark on the news. He said we may get up to 7-8 more inches of rain for some areas in East Texas.

We got 2 1/2 inches of rain and marble sized hail covered the ground this past Tuesday. My tomatoes came through ok, but it got some of my squash & green beans.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have knocked ourselves out in the garden the past 3 days. I'm so late in planting, I might as well call it an early fall garden. LOL LOL

Tomorrow it is supposed to start raining and rain until next Sunday.

We got 3 1/2" this past week, more to come!
Do you have that real sandy loam soil where you are? We do, so the garden drains fast and drys out fast but this is still just too much water for the plants. If it wasn't for the sandy loam we wouldn't have a garden left out there at all.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What do you use to amend your sandy soul?
Shred up all the oak and hickory leaves every year and till them in. We have some sugar sand here too, but not a lot. Our soil has a lot of fine clay mixed in so it does retain water fairly well but you still have to add stuff to make it better.