East Texas Gardening

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my part of VA it's been real dry for a couple weeks. I had to water the garden TO PLANT! Just so dust bowl dry. After watering, the color of dirt and chunks of debris became real obvious. 🤔 Way more to pick and burn. Bummer!

Did plant, after watering a long time.
I've been having to water before planting too! Yesterday when digging deeper to plant some dahlia roots, the soil was a little damp.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's wrong with polar bear liver? Just curious here; I'm not likely to ever even have the opportunity.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Liver is not on my list of edibles. So I reckon I’m safe from polar bear liver. LOL

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Same here with a high temp. of 90. Maybe my pepper plants will start to change their color back to green now.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More rain this morning to follow our mini monsoon of last week. But ..... the garden patches are sure looking good. :celebrate

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We missed most of the rain so far today but there is a bunch up around Dallas that might make it through here tonight. Just got a warning that a tornado was on the ground near Love Lady. That's not real close to us but it is headed in our direction ... more or less. It's miserable outside ... 75 degrees and 85% humidity.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We didn't get any hail but the rain is ruining everything. A couple of my tomatoes have leaf curl and the squash will have to be replanted. Everything else is looking pretty good though. I think starting Monday we are supposed to have TS's off and on all week.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We saw that on the news last night. Screw the farmers, let them go broke and sell out. Let their farms be scooped up for pennies on the dollar by real estate developers, who can then build more subdivisions for more people. Total insanity.

I don’t know why the west coast doesn’t have desalination plants to harvest fresh water. Then there would be enough for everyone. Oh, wait. What was I thinking? That would make sense and the governors of those states don’t have any.

desal for agriculture just isn't a great idea yet, sure some places are doing it but they're in much worse shape than S.Ore... it takes a lot of energy and if you haven't noticed yet the planet is getting a bit warm and smothered by what we're already doing with energy.

another thing to realise is that large scale conventional monocultural agriculture is hideously horrible for the diversity of life so replacing those barren and *cide ridden farm fields with suburbia is likely to be a huge gain for diversity - even better yet if those farms are broken up and put into the hands of people who know how to manage it using natural methods (which work quite well).

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can eat any part of a mammal except the liver of a polar bear .... It is very high in either vitamin A or E ... I forget which, but it will kill you.