Egg Prices

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In Colorado Springs, the craigslist adds often list $2 for chicken eggs and $3 for duck eggs/dozen. I pay it when Chrissy's egg production is behind my husbands ability to eat them. I can't wait for my baby ducks to get to laying age.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My girls aren't even laying yet and already people want the eggs.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Last year we charged $3.00 per dozen. But after checking prices at the better stores and the farmers' market, we decided to go to $4.00 for now. At the farmers's market they were between $6.00-7.00 per dozen for free range eggs. And people were buying them. I felt like handing out our card and telling them ours were cheaper :gig. We only have 4 laying hens right now. Once the new addition of 18 chicks starts laying, we might reduce our price, since we won't be able to store that many eggs.
The prices at our farmers' market are usually high for everything. I only go there, if I really want something special, or it is an "outing" for us.
My neighbor charges $2.00 for her eggs, but she has mostly bantams and her eggs are very small.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I charge $3 a dozen for free range chicken eggs. Most people are happy to pay it. I once had someone offer to pay me $5 a dozen. I only have a few extra dozen a week. I have a nice variety of colors from very dark brown to light brown and green and blue.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Its my neighbors that are eyeing my eggs! I only have 3 chickens, which would be enough for my little family of 3, but those neighbors are sure dropping hints! Hopefully out of my 10 new chicks I will get atleast 2 hens :fl to keep. But you know how it goes when you want more hens, you always get more roos! (I'm ready to share my eggs, I'm tired of coveting them!!)

I think $3.00 min is a fair price for gathering up 12 eggs. I don't know what they are at the grocery store anymore but I remember over here it was over $3.00. The taste alone will knock their socks off and have them returning for more, let alone the nutrutional extras--price will not be that big of an issue.

My dog got out and chased my neighbor's dog who was being walked by my neighbor. Everyone was alright, but I felt horrible. I didn't have enough eggs to share so I bought eggs from a lady down the street for $3.50 without batting an eye. I didn't tell my neighbor the eggs didn't come from my chickens, so shhh about that. Fresh eggs are fresh eggs, and it smoothed me and my dumb dog's mistake right out! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can't really compare free-range eggs with store-bought eggs. I say, look at the price of the MOST EXPENSIVE eggs in your local stores and go up from there. NONE of those eggs in the store are cruelty-free. There are people willing to pay extra for what we have to offer, and we should be willing to take it without a twinge of guilt.

When I first priced my eggs at $2 per dozen, I felt I had to justify that since eggs regularly come on sale for under a dollar a dozen.....phooey! My dad pointed out to me that I was not factoring in all the feed to keep hens from day-olds to full laying, and then to support them when they slow down, since I am not using production breeds and feeding them layer mash. So now I get $3-4 per dozen.....the people who offer $4 are on the top of the list when eggs are available.

I also educate my customers on the difference. I love to stick little surprises in the cartons. I found a bunch of little fuzzy yellow chicks in a discount store and bought them and stuck one in each carton until they ran out, people loved it. I also will type up and print out articles on the value of cruelty-free and truly free-range eggs. There are a LOT of these tidbits in Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions. She debunks the cholesterol myths and gives tons of info on the value of pastured eggs, especially the yolks, and for that reason, we rarely have eggs to sell anymore, we eat them all! I even separate them so we can eat more yolks. Quite the opposite of what is done commonly today.....egg white omelets.....yuk! Bright yellow homemade mayo.....yum! Bright yellow homemade vanilla goat's milk ice cream....yum! Bright yellow scrambled eggs......yum! A fruit shake with homemade yogurt and a couple of egg yolks, raw.....yum!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're competitivly priced at $2/dozen.

A truly free range flock owner a few roads over charges 2.25 / dozen

We can't get any more than $2 a dozen, but people often give us extra. In a normal week, I can pay for a bag of layer from 15 eggs a day, and we have at least a dozen left over for our own use. We charge for delivery into town for the elderly who cant get out of town, and we're considering raising our price next season depending on how many hens we have.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was charging 3 dollars a dozen. I only sell by word of mouth, mostly to friends that know the value of a free range egg.