Egg Prices

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's the opposite with my parent's chicken eggs... She does not try to sell them, she just gives them away, but people insist on giving her something. It's whatever they have with them, from $1.00-$5.00! She always says they don't need to pay her, but they want to. So she has an envelope called "chicken feed" and we do pretty well. Also, they will always bring back the cartons, too. These are only friends and family, and they have favorite chickens.

(we can't give away Cayuga duck eggs, though. People freak when they see black eggs! :lol:)

krazeepolack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
How much do you guys charge for eggs? I've had a couple of people inquiring about mine and I'm not sure where to start. At the grocery store (Walmart) they had 18 eggs for under $2.
I just took delivery TODAY on a brand spankin new egg scale. :ya The 1st thing I did w/it was reach in the fridge for my 18 carton of wally world eggs. I weighed each/every one of 'em. (My new toy, of course-what did you expect)? :idunno The results blew me out of the kitchen. :ep No less then 25% of the eggs registered on the scale as "MEDIUM", while the carton was labeled as Grade A LARGE!!! Several others barely tipped into the "large" range. Checked YOUR eggs lately?? :pop

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, I'm not getting enough eggs to sell, I'm barely getting enough for us to eat. But I do have some people that want to buy my eggs when my girls finally start laying. I've seen some people talk about getting NPIP (?) certified. What is that, and do I need to do it to sell eggs?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That has to do more with selling birds. There are good and bad points to NPIP. Check with Quail_Antwerp. She is applying now if I remember correctly.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Mackay said:
So how do you all package your eggs when you sell them? Do you purchase egg boxes for them? or have your neighbors bring their own baskets?

If you do purchase boxes do you have a link for a good supplier. I don't like those those styrofoam type as they are not biodegradable.
I realize that this is question was posted a while back, but I didn't see where you received an answer.

We purchase egg cartons from eggcartons.com . Specifically the Recycled Fiber Blank Flat-Top Egg Carton, #EGP1BL-FT. The flat top is perfect for adding our "MTM Tick & Chick Hatchery" labels. The site has a lot of different styles and colors of cartons, and the people there have been very pleasant to deal with.

I admit that buying the cartons is a bit of an extravagance, when we have plenty of used egg cartons around, but we don't sell as a business. We just use any money received to offset feed costs, and we give away as much or more than we sell.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get farm fresh eggs for $1.50/doz or $4/flat :weee :celebrate :ep :love

That's CHEAPER than what I can buy the brown eggs for in the grocery store!!! :clap :woot

But we are in a VERY rural area, with many people having their own chickens, so he knows he can't too much. Probably actually just trying to do something with his extra eggs, and a little bit of $ is better than none, but I'm glad to take advantage of it! Lovely brown and blue eggs in my fridge :drool

I just think it's awesome that my source of farm fresh eggs is at the local pharmacy, and they come from the pharmacists chickens :D If I can ever catch him alone, I plan to ask if he knows of anybody with goat or cows milk they'd like to sell, for "consumption by pets only," of course ;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
krazeepolack said:
Aidenbaby said:
How much do you guys charge for eggs? I've had a couple of people inquiring about mine and I'm not sure where to start. At the grocery store (Walmart) they had 18 eggs for under $2.
I just took delivery TODAY on a brand spankin new egg scale. :ya The 1st thing I did w/it was reach in the fridge for my 18 carton of wally world eggs. I weighed each/every one of 'em. (My new toy, of course-what did you expect)? :idunno The results blew me out of the kitchen. :ep No less then 25% of the eggs registered on the scale as "MEDIUM", while the carton was labeled as Grade A LARGE!!! Several others barely tipped into the "large" range. Checked YOUR eggs lately?? :pop
I believe that they just need to add up to a minimum weight per dozen, rather than being a minimum weight per egg. *Large* eggs would be 24 oz per dozen.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Or could the eggs have lost moisture since they were first weighed?

I sell my eggs for $3/doz and sometimes I think I need to raise the price. :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I get $4 per dozen. Should be getting $6, but the specific area I am in does not want to pay it. And that is mostly due to the fact that we have quite a few people seriously undercutting the market.
Selling their eggs at $2 per.
Our costs up here are way higher then most places.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have been selling ours for 3.00 a dozen, 2.50 if you provide me a carton. I have mostly sold to co-workers and they were very happy with the price. Some people gave me extra and they got first dibs on the eggs.

As far as the cayuga eggs go, you can make them sparkly white if you gently scrub them with a kitchen dish scrubby for a long time. They are eventually pearly white. I agree, my customers like brown, white and green eggs, but black is not popular.