Egg Prices

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
$2 and I'm constantly undercut by other locals selling for $1. I don't know if they are free ranged, but folks around here don't seem to care. Some do, but most don't.

I find that the majority of folks just do not read....they don't read anything! If is not mentioned on American Idol or Days of Our Lives, well it just isn't going to be learned! The most precious commodity they have is their health and they don't educate themselves about it. Its a sad world at times.... :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are $3.75 retail.
$2.50 wholesale.

At the big charlotte market, farmers are raising up to $5 a dozen....most have lost business....customers can't handle it. We stayed at our $3.75 this year and Tony sells out 120 dozen in about 2 hrs easily.

Do not under price fresh. Fresh is the name of the game and fresh is what the price should be set at......so many farmers cut their prices to sell. Don't do it....be strong and firm and set a good fair market price like me.

Hope you do well selling eggs!!!! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I started selling at $3 /doz. i wan't selling any, so I dropped to $2/doz. I have one friend who pays me $2.50/doz, cuz that's what she would spend at the grocery store for the best eggs.

competition around here sells for $2/doz.

I understand about not undersellling your product, but what am I gonna do with all these eggs if I cant sell them? Besides, the money I make from the sales more than makes up for the cost of feed i put back into the hens.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
$3 per dozen. No one seems to care that mine are pastured in a meadow full of wonderful wild plants and herbs full of omegas and vitamins or that they free range loose in the woods for protein rich bugs and earthworms.

My customers remember the taste of farm fresh eggs from small flocks, lucky to get them when they could, and that's all they want. It's mostly the older folks and some from mil's church.

I have all the customers I need and not pursuing more. The girls are more than paying for themselves; the extra money is saved for winter when they don't produce much. Eggs should cost more then, IMO, but I won't raise the price for my customers.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
$3 or $3.50 a dozen depends on what I think I can get.

I have seen eggs here running from $2 for factory eggs to $6 for organic free range in the supermarket. So people are generally willing to spend the money, the issue seems to be ease of getting them.....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I saw a small farm selling eggs at my farmers market for $8! I almost fell over :ep Who the heck can pay that?

I am just reading about all your lovely eggs, waiting :pop... not so patiently, for my chicks to start laying! I can't wait :drool
I had been counting on 6 hens laying but it looks like I only have 5 who will lay so I will be sharing our extras with friends and family. Probably just giving them away although it would be nice to offset feed costs, but I think I would need a few more hens for that. Anyone know the cost/profit break even point?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I never did a cost analysis, but consider I am feeding 3 cats who do NOTHING but shed, eat, sleep and poop, having ducks that give me eggs is a big bonus.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It all depends on what your local pricing market can handle.

I am near the "big" city...LOL..in a way and prices higher can hold up well.

If you can't unload eggs at a "market" area and support that price, then just "unloading" the extras for any cost is a great deal...it adds to the costs and makes your food cheaper.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I never did a cost analysis, but consider I am feeding 3 cats who do NOTHING but shed, eat, sleep and poop, having ducks that give me eggs is a big bonus.
LOL-LOL

I have barn cats with minimum crunchy feed and the occasional treat of "whatever is leftover for dinner" they will eat.

Mine are working cats. They do a great job. I need them to keep critters in check at the barns.

Remember that if they are pets, they paid you dearly in affection..HA HA HAHA--just keep thinking that..HA HA

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Free, I like your idea of adding articles on the benefits of eggs from our backyard chickens.
I think the price you charge really does depend on your locale. If the people in your area don't care about the quality of the eggs or the quality of life the chickens have that lay the eggs, then they won't care to pay extra. They often think that since they are getting them from the farmer direct, that they should be cheaper!
I live in an urban area in a county where the 60's hippies moved to from San Francisco. There are also a lot of artists living here, so this is not a back woods community and people are willing to pay higher prices for food that was grown organically, locally, ecologically and high standard of quality of life for the creatures and the farmers that do the work. Of course there are also plenty of folks who don't give a hoot.