Egg recipes...

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well the sensible thing to do would be to make a LOT of creme brulee, and then invite me over for dessert.

Here's the recipe I use, which I lifted from somewhere on the 'net. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, add up the calories.

1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 cup vanilla sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks
2 quarts hot water

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Place the cream, vanilla bean and its pulp into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and reserve for another use.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the egg yolks until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually. Pour the liquid into 6 (7 to 8-ounce) ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the creme brulee is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.

Remove the creme brulee from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to browning the sugar on top. Divide the remaining 1/2 cup vanilla sugar equally among the 6 dishes and spread evenly on top. Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Allow the creme brulee to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of course then you have a bunch of left over egg whites. Make Angel Food Cake and invite me over for dessert.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have had a vanilla bean inside a jar of sugar but didn't know what I would use it for ......................now I do :weee

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx CJ!! That sounds really yummy, and I'll definitely try to make some...of course, I'll have to make 2 or 3 batches and try it...don't want to give you anything yucky, LOL....yeah, I'm probably gonna do a lot of baking, then freeze it all.

You all are great, thanx!!!!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
'nuther recipe that uses eggs:

Chili Rellenos

6 Anaheim or Poblano chilis.....or jalepanos if you're brave
2/3 cup cornmeal (optional)
1 cup flour
1 & 1/2 cups milk
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 slices pepperjack, monterey jack or cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice

You can add optional seasoning such as cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, etc. I find that the cheese is salty enough for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*This step is optional:
Preheat the broiler. When it's hot, wash the chilis or peppers and put them in a 9x13 pan. Put them under the broiler for a couple minutes, until the skin starts blistering. Turn and watch for the other side to blister. Remove from oven, take them out of the pan and wrap in damp newspaper or damp kitchen towels for a few minutes. Remove blistered skin under running water. Don't worry if all the skin doesn't come off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Cut off the stem end of the chili or pepper, make a slit from the bottom to the top, open and scrape out seeds with a spoon.
*Lightly butter or oil the 9x13 pan. Set oven to 375 degrees
*Place half a slice of cheese in each chili and place them slit-side down in the buttered pan.
*In a medium sized mixing bowl, blend together the eggs, flour, corn meal, baking powder and milk. I use a wire wisk but this can be done by hand or with an elec mixer.
*Gently pour the batter over the chilis.
*Bake in the 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes, until batter is almost set. It will look a lot like a souffle at this point. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and return to oven for 5-10 more minutes, until cheese is melted.

Serve as is or top with salsa, gaucamole or sour cream. Or if you're self-indulgent like me, top with all three!
Scrumptious!

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If I know that I am going to have company over or going camping, I will make omletts ahead of time. Mix your eggs and milk as usual and dump into a quart size baggie and add your veggies, meats, and seasonings. Pop them into the freezer. I stick mine in the microwave and they slide right out. For camping, either put them in a pot of boling water or dump into a skillet.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this today! I was freezing eggs and wondered if omelettes would turn out okay if I froze them. Thanks!

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
They are yummy as my ds son says! I fixed tehm when he had a couple of friends over and it made it so much easier! I don't have to worry about the kids being underfoot as I am trying to chop and mix. I just pull them out and pop in the microwave and it is done in no time! Best part is no extra dishes to worry about!

DDRanch

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is how I make an easy, delicious quiche. Of course the fresh eggs make this spectacular. This can be make with a variety of vegs, I like to use as much from my garden as possible but add what you like. Bacon or ham pieces are great additions for meat eaters.

Frozen pie crust shell (reg or deep dish 8-9")
Saute one small onion, 1/2 C diced peppers, couple of large diced mushrooms
Steam 1-1 1/2 C of brocolli (chop into bite size pieces)
Grate 1 C parmeasean cheese (or any kind you have handy)
7-8 fresh eggs (straight from the coop)
fresh oregano, parsley,and chives (from garden) dried will do too
couple of twists from pepper mill

Whip up eggs in a large bowl, add brocolli, sauted vegs, and cheese. Stir in herbs, add pepper. Pour into pie shell. Put pie on a cookie sheet. Cover crust of pie with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes in a convection oven.
Remove when quiche rises, lightly brown and toohpick inserted comes out clean. Enjoy. and don't forget your cholorestol medicine......
Anne

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Bean Sprout Pancakes- a fast fast fast meal

4 eggs well beaten
1 cup fresh bean sprouts (I used canned a lot)
2 TBsp diced green onions (I always add more)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 TBsp oil

Seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil

Mix beaten eggs with green onions, bean sprouts and garlic with seasoning mix and mix well.
Heat some oil in pan -when hot pour about 1/3 cup of mixture in and fry for about a minute or so, flip over and fry other side. Careful about pan getting too hot.
Repeat with rest of mixture.

You can use the pancakes as a mieal or fill them with something or use as filling for a sandwich.

Latest posts