egg safety

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Beekissed said:
USDA has been searching for years for a clean source of eggs for flu vaccine [past practice was to introduse the virus into all eggs and throw out those that were infeccted with Salmonella] They gave up the search, never found a clean source of eggs. The new Vaccine [Comming Soon] will be based on insects.~gd
Somehow, I'm doubting the USDA searched for clean eggs in a true, country backyard setting. Not USDA approved living conditions in the first place, so I'm much doubting their "years of searching" delved into that resource. Would be very interesting if they did...
For a vaccine factory, I'm sure they were getting eggs from an egg factory. I'm guessing they need thousands per day while in production. So it doesn't address the assumed advantages of home-grown chickens and their eggs. But it does tell me something about the prevalence of bacterial contamination in commercial eggs.
Right on k15n1 Yep thousands of eggs were needed And Bee Eggs from pastured poultry farms [like your backyard doubled 1000 times] did score better than the factory farms. In the end the government did choose based on quality AND cost.~gd