Eggs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would like to have a thread on using eggs! We seem to have too many to use and too few to sell. Please share your egg recipes!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love a quiche.....many, many versions but, basically a lot of eggs, some milk, cheese, veggies &/or meats. This is good morning, noon or night. Leftovers, next day.

And bread pudding. Similar to a French toast casserole, bread, milk -- more sugar and you can add fruits, raisins, seasonings.

These both use up extra goat milk & eggs. :)

I used to freeze eggs for winter use but, with so many hens it's rarely a problem now. When I decide to cut back to just a number for "own use" I will freeze again. Worked well.

A breakfast casserole is good. Shredded potatoes on bottom of well buttered pan, layer of cooked crumpled bacon, or chopped ham, or crumpled fried sausage, some shredded cheese (or not), pour on eggs with some milk whipped in. I like to cover with some cheese on top just before done. Bake 350. Obviously you can adjust to size pan wanted, & volume of each item.

Hard boiled....plain, on sandwich, egg salad.

A pound cake normally uses 10-12 whole eggs. :drool

If you double the lemon curd recipe, you have a dozen whites to use in an angel food cake -- good with the curd.

Dogs love eggs...and the hens like them, also. Sometimes I hard boil a couple dozen and feed back to the hens. Normally I crush them before feeding. They love the shells!
My pigs got extras, also.

OK -- ideas, not recipes. But all good. Eggs are versatile.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yum! We had eggs for dinner the other night. Sauteed some onions, red bell pepper, a little garlic and some diced ham. Stirred some eggs up with a little sour cream and poured it over all the sautéed goodies, added a little cheese and baked until set then topped with more cheese. I made a little sauce from some sour cream and siracha to drizzle over and we called it dinner!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 5 males living in this house so unless I had a dozen hens I never have too many. I'm getting 5 eggs a day most days and we still buy eggs when we get a chance at some farm fresh eggs.

That said we eat them in breakfast burritos, the Puffy pancake, we usually bake a cake at least 3 to 5 times a week. DH and the Wildbunch love their cake! Quiche and French toast casserole (actually bread pudding). Pudding is great for using up eggs or at least egg yolks. Rich, sweet pudding is so yummy and when it gets to hot to bake cakes I start making things like pudding.

I have made a low carb pizza (?) with eggs. The recipe was in a greased pan put pizza sauce and sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni, etc. Then top is with about 10 beaten eggs. Cover with mozzarella cheese, bake at 350 until done.

I also will stir beaten eggs and cottage cheese into cooked spaghetti. Spread on a greased pizza pan, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake.

Frittatas are good for breakfast, lunch, or supper.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love lemon curd. Someone shared it with me on this forum in the past. I just eat it off a spoon because it's seriously THAT good. Or I put some over plain yogurt or on ice cream.

6 egg yolk
1/2 c lemon juice
1 c sugar
1 stick butter, cut into slices

Heat lemon juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add yolk. Cook 5 - 7 minutes or until 160 degrees. It will thicken when it reaches 160. Take off heat, add butter and stir until it melts.

This recipe freezes BEAUTIFULLY. It is tolerant of tweaking with less sugar or less butter, and substituting other fruit juices. I've done orange juice. I gave the recipe to a friend - she makes it with pomegranate juice.

Without tweaking, this recipe's nutrition stats are
1980 calories per recipe, 124 calories per Tablespoon
1 gram protein per Tablespoon
12 gram added sugar per Tablespoon (13 grams total carbs)
52 mg choline per Tablespoon

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My kids love French Toast casserole, I love that I can use up 12 eggs with little effort. (And all my stale bread!)

For 9x13 pan, use enough bread cubes to fill a gallon ziploc. (I cut stray pieces of bread, bad loaves, crusts, stale bread, etc in cubes and throw it in the freezer. My kids celebrate when the bag is full and we can have casserole!). Put the bread cubes in the pan.

Beat 12 eggs with 1 quart milk or cream

Add 2 T maple syrup and/or vanilla if you'd like.

Pour liquid over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon, stir or flip.

Cover and put in fridge "overnight"

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Slice and serve with butter and syrup.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can also freeze eggs for later use:

Freezing Eggs
If you have more eggs than you can use, you can break them out of their shells and freeze them. Freeze only clean, fresh eggs.

Whites
Break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour the whites into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date, and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in a standard ice cube tray. Then transfer to a freezer container.

Yolks

The gelation property of egg yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen, so you need to give yolks special treatment. If you freeze them as they are, egg yolks will eventually become so gelatinous that they will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup of egg yolks (about 4 yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date, and whether you’ve added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts). Freeze.

Whole eggs

Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze.

Hard-boiled eggs

You can freeze hard-boiled egg yolks to use later for toppings or garnishes. Carefully place the yolks in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to come at least 1 inch above the yolks. Cover and quickly bring just to boiling. Remove the pan from the heat and let the yolks stand, covered, in the hot water about 12 minutes. Remove the yolks with a slotted spoon, drain them well and package them for freezing. It’s best not to freeze hard-boiled whole eggs and hard-boiled whites because they become tough and watery when frozen.

To use frozen eggs

In a home freezer, you can freeze eggs for up to one year. When you’re ready to use frozen eggs, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water. Use egg yolks or whole eggs as soon as they’re thawed. Thawed egg whites will beat to better volume if you allow them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Use thawed frozen eggs only in dishes that are thoroughly cooked.

46-using-frozen-eggs.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Puff Pancakes
melt 3 tb butter in two cake pans (or as I use medium size skillets)
then mix......
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp of vanilla
split the batter between the two pans/tins and stick in the oven at 375*
I bake for 20 minutes for myself (they will collapse a little after you take them out at that time). If you like things crispier on the edge or would like them to hold their 'puff' for better presentation then bake them a bit longer. If I bake longer I turn the oven down to 325* for the last half. with some whipped cream and fresh fruit they make an outstanding and easy fancy breakfast.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite ways to use eggs.... of course I don't make this tiny little bit, lol. I use a whole jar of pasta sauce and I put as many eggs in it as I can fit in the pan. I've made it with chicken eggs and even quail eggs. It's a great way to use them up and it's delish. You can serve it over bread or pasta.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013889-eggs-poached-in-marinara-sauce