Eggs

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule we call those puff pancakes "Dutch Babies" (from Deutsch or german pancakes). It's also almost exactly like Yorkshire Pudding, except for a Yorkshire Pudding you use the fat from the roast (they didn't trim all that delicious fat from the meat, like they do now). We adore both versions.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love a quiche.....many, many versions but, basically a lot of eggs, some milk, cheese, veggies &/or meats. This is good morning, noon or night. Leftovers, next day.

And bread pudding. Similar to a French toast casserole, bread, milk -- more sugar and you can add fruits, raisins, seasonings.

These both use up extra goat milk & eggs. :)

I used to freeze eggs for winter use but, with so many hens it's rarely a problem now. When I decide to cut back to just a number for "own use" I will freeze again. Worked well.

A breakfast casserole is good. Shredded potatoes on bottom of well buttered pan, layer of cooked crumpled bacon, or chopped ham, or crumpled fried sausage, some shredded cheese (or not), pour on eggs with some milk whipped in. I like to cover with some cheese on top just before done. Bake 350. Obviously you can adjust to size pan wanted, & volume of each item.

Hard boiled....plain, on sandwich, egg salad.

A pound cake normally uses 10-12 whole eggs. :drool

If you double the lemon curd recipe, you have a dozen whites to use in an angel food cake -- good with the curd.

Dogs love eggs...and the hens like them, also. Sometimes I hard boil a couple dozen and feed back to the hens. Normally I crush them before feeding. They love the shells!
My pigs got extras, also.

OK -- ideas, not recipes. But all good. Eggs are versatile.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 5 males living in this house so unless I had a dozen hens I never have too many. I'm getting 5 eggs a day most days and we still buy eggs when we get a chance at some farm fresh eggs.

That said we eat them in breakfast burritos, the Puffy pancake, we usually bake a cake at least 3 to 5 times a week. DH and the Wildbunch love their cake! Quiche and French toast casserole (actually bread pudding). Pudding is great for using up eggs or at least egg yolks. Rich, sweet pudding is so yummy and when it gets to hot to bake cakes I start making things like pudding.

I have made a low carb pizza (?) with eggs. The recipe was in a greased pan put pizza sauce and sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni, etc. Then top is with about 10 beaten eggs. Cover with mozzarella cheese, bake at 350 until done.

I also will stir beaten eggs and cottage cheese into cooked spaghetti. Spread on a greased pizza pan, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake.

Frittatas are good for breakfast, lunch, or supper.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yum! We had eggs for dinner the other night. Sauteed some onions, red bell pepper, a little garlic and some diced ham. Stirred some eggs up with a little sour cream and poured it over all the sautéed goodies, added a little cheese and baked until set then topped with more cheese. I made a little sauce from some sour cream and siracha to drizzle over and we called it dinner!

Latest posts