Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1800 miles so far. Having a great time in missouri. We went to the pony express museum and jesse james house museum. They are in st Joseph Missouri. Our ds had a blast.
We are trying to adjust our bodies to the time change. Was easier when i was young lol

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll miss you by about 10 days in the KC area. Tons of history there, some very good food, family and friends. It's a great stopping point!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grew up an hour and a half from here in Kansas. I got to catch up with an old friend from high school. Reminiscing about stories we wont tell our sons lol.
Tomorrow we are doing worlds of fun. My sister and her family are coming up for it... we do not get along at all sadly so it could be interesting.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a big park. Maybe you can lose her!:gig The last time I was there, everything got shut down due to lightening.
My FIL lives very close to the original farm where the James brothers grew up. My husband's grandparents are buried in the military cemetery at Fort Leavenworth. @Farmfresh lives in the area too. I'll be seeing her in 2 weeks to pick up a ram lamb.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you're finding time to have some fun along your way. Hope the sister behaves! Be safe on the rest of your trip!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a great time at worlds of fun. It was hot! Heat advisory was in effect. We drank lots of water and we are beat tired. Good nights sleep coming before we head to des moines in the morning

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's a really cool city park in Winterset, Iowa. It's not too far off of 35N just south of Des Moines. John Wayne's childhood home is there (very close to the park entrance), and the city park has a maze made out of shrubs with a sundial in the center. There are very nice areas for a picnic lunch, and pretty little stone bridges over a creek that runs through the park. In the back part of the park is a pretty stone tower with a wonderful view. It was erected in memory of some early settlers in the area. It's worth stopping there if you have time.
There are some really pretty covered bridges on the way to Winterset (bridges of Madison County...) One of them has a bunch of graffiti from many visitors over the years. There's a little notice that someone had written that there are 9 "ninjas" hiding on the bridge. These are about 2 inches high, and were drawn with a black sharpie. All of them are slightly different. My son and I stopped once to see the bridge, and stayed for an hour to find all 9 "ninjas". We took a picture of each to make sure we didn't miss any. There's also a neat military museum in Des Moines, and a glass pedestrian bridge. Lots of cool things to see in Iowa along that route! Enjoy the trip, and if you see anything worth stopping for, please let us know. I'm sure we'll be through that way again.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Winterset is a very nice place. My dw grew up there. Ds was born on john waynes birthday. He is a huge fan. We are planning a stop there today.