Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne, I like the idea of adding a "wash/cook station" to a temporary abode. I would eventually like to add a bit of a processing area, as well as an outdoor shower. Even to just have a bit of a work station set up so I could pre-wash my produce, and trim it before bringing it inside. That would keep the grit out of my sink, and send the water, and plant trimmings right back into the soil. I have the sink set up. Just need to build a stand for it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne, I like the idea of adding a "wash/cook station" to a temporary abode. I would eventually like to add a bit of a processing area, as well as an outdoor shower. Even to just have a bit of a work station set up so I could pre-wash my produce, and trim it before bringing it inside. That would keep the grit out of my sink, and send the water, and plant trimmings right back into the soil. I have the sink set up. Just need to build a stand for it.
Oh yeah! I always wanted a pre-wash station in our garden for the same reason. I was dreaming of using rain catchment, but a garden hose would have worked as well or better here. I had a small stainless sink already, but it never happened. Here's a pic of a pallet one:
b1784d6427e5bf1bd30654eb1a625818.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sweet. That's what I've envisioned. I would put a bucket on the platform under the sink to collect the drain water. Or simply hook up a hose to the drain, and direct the water flow where ever it's needed. I bought a camp sink complete with side drain board. It has hose hook up. I also have a porcelain bathroom sink that I've been saving for the same purpose. As for the shower, I envision running my black hose across the deck for solar gain, then perhaps into a perforated bucket with shower stall below. A pallet with paver tiles on top would work nicely.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes we can live in an rv/camper as long as we wish or can stand it lol.
I plan to have an outdoor kitchen asap.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are counting down the days until we hit the road to our place.
Shortly after we bought it our suv started giving us problems. Took me 2 weeks to sort everything out. Hoping it stops doing that for our trip.
Motor is strong just the acceseries giving me fits

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So when you hit the road, that is moving day, right?

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes it is. Packing everthing and never moving again! Hopefully lol.
Planning about a week for the trip as we are stopping to see friends and family on the way.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope everything is still on track for your move and going better than you hoped for. Best of luck with the new adventure!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Almost have everything packed. Then we start the long trip tomorrow after dw's heart dr appt. We have compressed our stuff down to what will fit in our yukon. I am an amazing packer so a lot lol.
Now praying for a safe trip across this great country.