Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We purchased our little patch of heaven in December of 2008. It is 4 acres with large 3 bed/ 2 bath house, barn, garage, chicken coop, and root cellar. The riding arena has been converted into our garden(65'x35'). Had it tilled up this week and the fence is almost complete around it. We have started with our chickens. We currently have 17 Rhode Island red chicks about 3 weeks old now and 60 broilers that are 2 weeks old. I have been happily married for 10 years and have a 17 yr old son and a 22 month old son. The pasture will soon be replanted with natural grass of sometype (any suggestions :)) The previous owners had horses and they ate everthing including the bark of the trees. I have 10 large trees to bring down this summer. Fruit trees are going in soon. I will post pics asap.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the 3 dogs, one German Shepard, one Brittany, and one Brussels Griffon. Also my DW's 3 cats.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The weather here is finally starting to warm up hopefully to stay for awhile. We moved our 17 laying hens out of the garage and into a larger pen in the coop last night. Put the heat lamp with them to ensure they stay warm enough. They seemed happy to have more room to play. The dogs are not sure what these little things are but they are more curious than anything. Started talking with my BF about becoming partners in a small buisness together. Hope everybody had a happy easter.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Glad to have you here and can't wait to see pics of your place!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our laying chicks are doing great in the coop. I moved the broilers out to their pen in the barn last friday. They are doing great as well. Anxious to plant the garden hopefully this weekend if the weather cooperates. On a sad note our German Shepard disappeared. We do not know if he was stolen or killed. My DS is heartbroken.

countrymama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog. Maybe he just wandered off and will come back in a bit?

Latest posts