Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice she's doing well. Sorry for all the problems I seems to have caused but, sounds like recovery is good for her & life in general. Don't her doctors know there are heart doctors in KY? :idunno Go figure?

We should be looking at pictures and progress at the new place soon, right? We love pictures!! Raw land -- what kind of plans have you for living quarters? :caf

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good to see you back! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and your wife's heart problems, but glad to hear she's better and things are looking up for you guys :) Looking forward to pics and updates on the new place.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Y'all are about to embark on an exciting journey! Moving halfway across country to a new place and making it a home! While I am sorry for your wife's health problems, I am glad she had heart surgery and is better now. My husband had a 3 way bypass a few years ago and is now better than ever.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, @elwood . I had to read back a few pages to get a sense of what's been going on with you and your DW. You've certainly had your trials. Praying that your lives move forward in a positive direction now. I hear that KY is a very nice area. I'd love to visit there some day. Will you be building, or putting up a prefab?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Heart care has come a very long ways! My SIL, who is my age (63) had a 5x bypass last fall. She's doing well, has good and not so good days. But, she has more energy than she has had in a very long time.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you all!
Initially my wife did much better after her double bypass. Sadly it didn't last. She had a stent placed right before christmas. And has 2 small arteries that are blocked and there is nothing they can do as they are too small to stent. She has lost 60lbs and her diabetes is controlled perfectly. They are weining her off of insulin.
She also has lost a lot of her vision. I am her caretaker.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is diabetic and has had 6 invasive eye surgeries and multiple laser surgeries. His sight certainly isn't taken for granted anymore. His vision now - is as good as it will ever be - according to his eye surgeons. He and DH have decided no more surgeries. It's good that your wife is able to cut down or even cut out insulin. Hope she can make more improvements!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Initially we will be in a camper. I have carpentry and building skills so we are looking at all of our options. See what is the best way and affordable. Our budget will be tight at least for a while as i seek a job to bring in more $