Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@elwood I was telling my husband about your trip, and about Worlds of Fun, and Winterset. (He lived quite a few years just north of KC, MO.) And he was asking WHY you would go through KC or Des Moines on your way from Portland to Kentucky. (For most of his life, he's been a point A to Point B kind of traveler.) Although he conceded that it is NOT the way he would have gone, he then said it sounds very much like a path I would take. I considered that a great compliment! I'm glad you're sharing your trip with us. It does indeed sound like a trip I would make. I hope your weather is good, construction is light, and the hand of the Lord is protecting you along the way. Have a wonderful trip.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We rented an airbnb for 2 nights in des Moines. It is a great house for a very reasonable price. Had friends over last night for bar b que and drinks. Had a great time.
Today went to lunch with a friend that couldnt make it over. Afterwards yukon started vibrating when accelerating to highway speed. Went to store and back to highway and it accelerated just fine. On to side streets and shifted hard going into 2nd. Luckily our family that we were planning to stay 2 days with says we can stay as long as we need. Hoping it doesnt go out anytime soon

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope you are able to get things checked out before you get back on the road. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your trip!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope your transmission is not getting ready to blow. Stay safe, and get that looked at asap. Hopefully, your family can guide you to a mechanic that won't gouge you.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze - you don't need THAT kind of problem. Hope it's nothing serious and that you get back on your journey with no major issues.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think we overloaded the yukon weight wise. And going through the mountains sure didnt help. But she keeps on going.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made it to my dw"s cousins house with no issues. Outside of grinnell iowa. Having great time with them. We are all going to the Iowa state fair tomorrow. It is an amazing state fair.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Someday,I hope to travel across the US like that. So many things to see, and it sounds so very different to this West Coast gal.