Epic Win!!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So excited I had to post.

A&H regular laundry detergent with local tax added and broken down by price per gallon: $7.45

My detergent, all ingredients with local tax added, divided out per ounce then by amount used to make one gallon: $0.50

I WIN! :celebrate

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I did the math when we made our detergent and I discovered that the 5 gallons that we made lasted the 2 of us an entire year and figured out that it was costing me PENNIES per load.
Pretty awesome!!!!!!!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Might I point out that price per gallon don't mean beans? It is cost per load that is important and if you can't beat a best seller or that basis, you should give it up and buy the best seller. They spend fortunes on Ads and couponds and add in the container cost and the freight and you aren't playing on a level field. One trick of the trade is to start out with about 1/2 the recommonded amount, that will do quite well on normal loads, only on the really dirty stuff use more but not more than the recommended amount, that would just be a waste.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so buying enough soap supplies to make 35 gallons, I spent $30.00
This makes it about $1.10 a gallon. So $5.50 /5 gallon bucket.
My 5 gallon bucket will do about 250 loads.
So, cost per load.... $ $.02 If I did my math right, LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cost per gallon does mean beans in your wallet

of course HOW you wash will determine final cost.

BUT homemade is cheaper than advertised premade store bought.

always will be and will never change
(unless you are a couponer like me and get it darn near free or same price as homemade :) )

cost per load on homemade will almost always beat store bought detergent. Of course you need to buy your ingredients on sale :)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when i bought my front load washer and dryer they say USE ONLY HE detergent

well when surf was on sale and i had coupons shoot if i didnt get every box for .50 and 20 boxes of it and cleared the shelf and that was months before i bought the front loaders

each box makes 40 loads but i can only get half a scoop in the drawer of the washer so each box is about 70-80 loads. imo way too cheap to have to make my own again.

i dont think i have used he detergent yet in this thing. never had the mold/mildew smell

when i run out of my 10 boxes that i have left and the 16 bags of dropps he detergent that i got for 1.00 a bag (originally 6.99) then i will go back to making my homemade because it is so cheap

the clothes for some reason just feel different when use you commercial detergents than homemade and i prefer the feeling of the clothes with the homemade detergent.

BUT homemade is cheaper no matter how you look at it. lets calculate on face value and you can find face value at the store. all those detergent companies very well pass on any costs incurred to the consumer. maybe i can go to the "BIG" companies and ask them for a some detergent that has no advertising, no shipping and i can bring that same 5 gallon bucket with me and avoid all packaging cost. like a gas station "FILLER UP".

oh fc,,,

beans are on sale at ht this week so get those coupons and clean house

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
OK, so buying enough soap supplies to make 35 gallons, I spent $30.00
This makes it about $1.10 a gallon. So $5.50 /5 gallon bucket.
My 5 gallon bucket will do about 250 loads.
So, cost per load.... $ $.02 If I did my math right, LOL
just imagine how cheap commercial detergents could be. they buy ingredients by the truck. it probably costs them 1/2 a penny per load. but because we have to pay all costs incurred we get to pay about 10-15 per gallon. isnt that lovely. about $10 a gallon and you have a 5 gallon bucket that costs half as much.

reap the savings.