Erin's Journal- Turning Frugal

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Erin, you don't even have to spend that. You can start with a little plastic container of worms from the bait shop--or probably walmart if they sell live bait at yours. You can use cornmeal, oatmeal, chicken feed (but I don't think it is a good idea to use medicated chick starter, just IMO). You can feed them lettuce, banana peels, carrots--they love carrots--potatoes. Not a real juicy fruit or vegetable, especially if you are going to have them in a closed container, as the fruit may mildew/rot and get the bedding icky. I don't cover mine. The beetles do not fly, nor can they climb a slick surface.
I started my colonies with the remnants of a cup of mealies that a man at the city park gave me, about 11 months ago. I have about a bazillion now, and feed the chickens when ever I think about it. The mealies like it warm, so they go nuts in the summer, then slow down production in the winter, unless you have a warm place to put the plastic bin, like on top of the fridge.
They take less care and tolerate more neglect than red wrigglers, and that's saying a lot.
Thanks for the info! I got carrots instead of strawberries since you said they like them, and since I figure they won't attract flies like strawberries will. I checked Walmart this morning for mill worms, but all they have is night crawlers. It's good to know that the beetles won't fly, I was a bit concerned about that. I think I'm going to order them offline from Jim's Worm Farm. The left over chick starter isn't medicated, so that should be fine. I am glad to have a use for it.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
With my family's help, I put in another vent in the main chicken coop and put a tarp over the broody pen. I've had lots of problems with the main coop, I just can't seem to get enough ventilation in it. Hopefully the tarp will keep the silkies fairly dry. They are horrible about standing in the rain.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
<ErinElizabeth> said:
Here is where I'm getting the meal worms from: http://unclejimswormfarm.com/index.php/MealWorms/Mealworms-FREE-SHIPPING/flypage.tpl.html
Question, is 500 meal worms enough to start out with, or should I go ahead and pay $5.95 more to get 1000 meal worms?
Just don't plan on feeding any to your chickens till they start reproducing (the worms, not the chickens) and that should be plenty. I didn't think my beetles were laying eggs because I couldn't see any tiny wormies in the bedding, for the longest time. But they were, and they were growing and shedding their skins many times. Soon I had a plastic bin full of worms. You can hear them moving through their bedding. It's cool in a creepy way. For anyone's information: don't buy the superworms. I have read that they are sterile, and that they bite. Plain ole meal worms are what you want. Your chickens will love you forever. I have several baggies full of frozen mealworms, in case I ever need them. If you have any questions, you can PM me. Also, Kaussandra is an experienced meal worm farmer. I think she is on this forum. If not this one, she is on BYC and TEG. She is good about answering questions and helping you.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
<ErinElizabeth> said:
Here is where I'm getting the meal worms from: http://unclejimswormfarm.com/index.php/MealWorms/Mealworms-FREE-SHIPPING/flypage.tpl.html
Question, is 500 meal worms enough to start out with, or should I go ahead and pay $5.95 more to get 1000 meal worms?
Just don't plan on feeding any to your chickens till they start reproducing (the worms, not the chickens) and that should be plenty. I didn't think my beetles were laying eggs because I couldn't see any tiny wormies in the bedding, for the longest time. But they were, and they were growing and shedding their skins many times. Soon I had a plastic bin full of worms. You can hear them moving through their bedding. It's cool in a creepy way. For anyone's information: don't buy the superworms. I have read that they are sterile, and that they bite. Plain ole meal worms are what you want. Your chickens will love you forever. I have several baggies full of frozen mealworms, in case I ever need them. If you have any questions, you can PM me. Also, Kaussandra is an experienced meal worm farmer. I think she is on this forum. If not this one, she is on BYC and TEG. She is good about answering questions and helping you.
Thanks for the info! I think I will get 500 meal worms instead of 1000, I like to save money when I can. The superworms sound scary , I'll definitely stay away from those.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got the meal worms in today! :woot I ended up purchasing 1000 worms since I've already got people making orders. There are at least 10 beetles among them so they can get started reproducing right away. I'll upload pictures of the tank set up and the worms this weekend when I have time.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the meal worms:
5414_100_8440.jpg

Chowing down on a carrot:
5414_100_8439.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have GOT to get me some of those worms! Please keep us posted on how they're doing and how quickly the reproduce.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You can buy them as bait. I remember we had them once-then didn't use them up. And, they turned into beetles. :/

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
You can buy them as bait. I remember we had them once-then didn't use them up. And, they turned into beetles. :/
Yes, the instructions that came with the worms said that if they are left at room temperature for more than a week they would turn into beetles. You have to keep meal worms at 50 degrees or below if you want them to stay in the larvae stage. Personally, I want my worms to turn into beetles so that they can reproduce and lay eggs.

Latest posts