Evacuating when told to by Government Officials

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't really have any reason to evac...unless there is a big fore or something like that. We have a basement, so tornado's we stay here. Snow storms, yup, tough it out. Now, if we had the time, and we HAD to evac...we have a plan, and it includes all the farm animals...well...most of them. LOL Depending on which way we have to go...we have a place mapped out...I just hope we never have to.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only thing we'd need to evacuate from would be fire, and I suppose it is a pretty real threat as my neighborhood is on the edge of the city where grass fires can be quite common. We're pretty ready for that eventuality, especially after the devastating wildfires that destroyed nearly half of the community of Slave Lake Alberta last month with very little warning before people had to get out of town--in most cases just moments before their homes were destroyed.

But for sheltering in place during blizzards or a rogue tornado that would venture this close to the Rocky Mountains, we've got it covered. And our neighborhood is pretty flood-proof (highest ground in this part of the city) but having had a basement flood in the past everything we have stored in the basement is in waterproof containers anyway.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
In reference to mentioning tornadoes in my original post, I was referring to those spawned inside of the hurricane, not your typical tornado warning from a supercell thunderstorm.

Those of you on the coasts, that have rode out hurricanes, know that there are generally no specific tornado warnings issued during the hurricane. Hurricane spawned tornadoes are usually brief, but violent.

If a major hurricane is forecast for your area, not leaving (if you have the means) is just plain foolhardy. If you aren't sure that you can get out of the area before the hurricane hits, you would probably be better off staying at home and hunkering down.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Hurricane/tornado/flooding where I live would be more like a one-in-a-thousand year occurrance so an evacuation would be extremely unlikely to be ordered for those reasons here and we are too far from the ocean to worry about tsunami.

We DO live 16 miles from Mt. Saint Helens, an active volcano, and I would certainly leave if instructed regarding the mountain although the chances of them thinking our spot would need evacuation is very low. We are likely to be covered in ash.

Earthquakes could happen here but since they are not predictable would not apply to the question on this thread.

The most likely need for evacuation here would be forest fire and yes, we would leave. We have a vehicle and a trailer that would/could hold all our animals and we would leave if that happened and pray there were something to come home to.

So yes, we would obey a request to evacuate here.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had fires to deal with a few years back. They were very far from us but we could see the glow on the horizon.. And the ash cloud was horrible. The kids schools closed for a week and we had plans to leave town anyways. So when the road opened we drove north east to get to fresh air. We spent several days in the desert.

I don't think the fires could have ever made it to me. They would have had to burn through several cities first.

Earthquake, I would stay.
Nuclear threat, probably stay.
flood not likely, stay.
tsunami, you never know. stay.
snow, ha. I would stay just to see that!!!

g

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
It would be almost impossible to get off the eastern tip of long island by car.They don't call the long is. expresway the world biggest parking lot for nothing...!(rush hour even worse).I would leave by a pleasure boat to Conn. or R.Is. if a giant hurricane was coming my way, i could be their in 1 1/2hrs.I've been through several hurricanes here, but nothing like the hurricane of 1938.Trying to get out by car would be futile, i doubt you'd be able to get a spot on a auto ferry to new england.Thats the only really big major threat in my area.I would likely only leave for a mother monster hurricane
predition

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't evacuate. Period. I live in a small town 75 miles north of Houston, Texas. Hurricane Rita hit 3 weeks after Hurricane Katrina and the news and pictures were vividly imprinted on everyone's brains. People flowed out of Houston and surrounding areas in a panic. A trip that would take about 1 hour took 22-28 hours. Several people died in their automobiles from heat exhaustion. Cars ran out of gas and there was none to be found. Our small town wasn't even a destination, but thousands were stranded here. We opened our schools, churches and homes. Most were respectful, but people running in a blind panic is not a pretty sight. Our junior high campus was completely trashed. Several thousand took shelter there and they destroyed the place, even rubbing feces on the walls. And everywhere they went on every highway and back road coming out of Houston, people threw out their trash. Nasty B*@T*+D*.

All businesses were closed. Think NO gas, NO food, NO NOTHING. And no one was prepared.

So before you evacuate, think about it. Do you really want to be caught up in the running of the lemmings? If where you live is that dangerous, then maybe you need to rethink things. Natural disasters are everywhere, but you don't have to be stupid about it. Look around and do what you can do to make your home a safe place to be. After Hurricane Ike dropped a massive oak tree on our house, we removed 2 more that were right next to our home. Do I miss them? You bet I do. It was like losing friends.

I have lived in southeast Texas all my life and hurricanes are a way of life. Many of you deal with major snow storms, wildfires, volcanoes, tornadoes and other disasters. Prepare for these to happen. Have a safe place to take shelter if you can't evacuate. Being one in a crowd of thousands is not where you want to be.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If where you live is that dangerous, then maybe you need to rethink things. Natural disasters are everywhere, but you don't have to be stupid about it.
LOL. You sound like my husband :D

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In the case of hurricanes they can track them fairly well but sometimes they take a quick turn and by then it's too late to leave. I am far enough away from the water to not worry about tidal surge so I think I would hunker down.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
We had fires to deal with a few years back. They were very far from us but we could see the glow on the horizon.. And the ash cloud was horrible. The kids schools closed for a week and we had plans to leave town anyways. So when the road opened we drove north east to get to fresh air. We spent several days in the desert.

I don't think the fires could have ever made it to me. They would have had to burn through several cities first.

Earthquake, I would stay.
Nuclear threat, probably stay.
flood not likely, stay.
tsunami, you never know. stay.
snow, ha. I would stay just to see that!!!

g
It snowed there in the late '60s.

I don't think a tsunami would reach you.