Evacuating when told to by Government Officials

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the fire update. That's probably my biggest risk here. Would I evacuate? Sigh ... For a fire I think there's no choice, if it's coming. I don't know what I'd do about my animals.

I've been through tornado, flood, hurricane, earthquake, fires ... Some more major than others. Tornado there's no time to evacuate but if I lived in a mobile home I'd hope to have a neighbor with a brick house. Ditto earthquake, no time. I was evacuated once during an unexpected flood by the military and yeah, when they came in, I got out while the getting was good.

Hurricanes are the major decision-makers, for me. With small children in a major hurricane with a high possibility of direct hit, yes I evacuated. I left early and took the back roads. One time did I go the main route and learned my lesson ... Was stranded on a bridge during the early stages of the hurricane. Never again. Taking the back roads there was zero traffic, so anytime I ever DO evacuate from here on out, that's my plan.

I hope I don't have to with the fires. I seriously don't know what I'd do about the animals.

Probably try to find a way to take them.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bearing Fire Update: Around 20,000 acres torched, approximately 40% of the fire has been contained, 10 bull dozers, 4 helicopters, and numerous area VFDs working fire. Local VFDs working are Livingston, Onalaska, Corrigan, and Alabama Coushatta Reservation. The fire is being called "Epic" as it is the largest forest fire in East Texas History. The fire is shaped like a hand and is generally moving in a northern direction. According to weather forecasts, Wednesday has a 50% chance of rain.

I know at least some of the ranchers opened their gates to give their cattle a chance to run for it. Just got a light rain, praying for more.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
As if Baymules, Texas update weren't bad enough, disaster is heading for Minot, North Dakota. Due to excessive rains and snowmelt the Souris River is expected to bring the worst floods to Minot since 1881 and break that old record...!! Thousands of people are under mandatory evacuation orders and thousands of homes are expected to be badly flooded...now thats pretty bad..! Those poor people, i hope the predictions are wrong....

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Would I evacuate? Sigh ... For a fire I think there's no choice, if it's coming. I don't know what I'd do about my animals.
:) The choice is to have a plan. Keep a "go bag" on hand for your family and your pets. something you can just grab and go in case of fire. The Red Cross has "Go Bag" contents listed on their website, but it's pretty much common sense. Meds, and extra pair of glasses if you need them, an address book, etc. Same goes for the animals. Have a lists of folks who can help with moving them, housing them etc.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cabinchick said:
Shiloh Acres said:
Would I evacuate? Sigh ... For a fire I think there's no choice, if it's coming. I don't know what I'd do about my animals.
:) The choice is to have a plan. Keep a "go bag" on hand for your family and your pets. something you can just grab and go in case of fire. The Red Cross has "Go Bag" contents listed on their website, but it's pretty much common sense. Meds, and extra pair of glasses if you need them, an address book, etc. Same goes for the animals. Have a lists of folks who can help with moving them, housing them etc.
It would take quite an effort, given all my animals. Pets I can pack in the car and go. I know what you mean by go-bag. I've evacuated for hurricanes, though you have the luxury of time there. Not so, some disasters, so point taken. I will pack one. :)

Animals I dunno. I wish I had a loonnggg horse trailer and a lot more cages, then I might manage. I'm not sure if even that would do it. Llama, goats, rabbits, geese, guinea, chickens, ducks ... Sigh. I DO have a good many cages I could press into service. But my trailer won't haul them all.

A dog and two cats are easy. :) At least I don't have a herd of cows.

I'm not sure I can manage all the birds. Thanks for the heads-up. I need to be thinking about this.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have earthquakes and bad storms and then there is always the threat of a major wildfire.
I know our city's government is worried most about a fire!
There is flodding and mudslides around us, but where we live, we don't have to worry about either of those.
We would evacuate for wildfire and if there was such a bad earthquake that the infrastucture was destroyed for an extended period of time.
Everything else we stay put. We have everything here, except a large supply of water. We can always get water from the neighbors though. We have well water, the neighbors have city water. We do have a barrel filled with ran water, but the barrel in not food grade. In years past we have had assorted kiddy pools for us to cool off in and as water reservoir. We haven't been able to afford one this year and the old ones all have holes in them :p

Our county has recently implemented a animal shelter/rescue program for emergencies. We do have frequent flooding of the river areas. So those people have to evacuate on a regular basis. And they need to have places for their animals.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
cabinchick said:
Shiloh Acres said:
It would take quite an effort, given all my animals. Pets I can pack in the car and go. I know what you mean by go-bag. I've evacuated for hurricanes, though you have the luxury of time there. Not so, some disasters, so point taken. I will pack one. :)

Animals I dunno. I wish I had a loonnggg horse trailer and a lot more cages, then I might manage. I'm not sure if even that would do it. Llama, goats, rabbits, geese, guinea, chickens, ducks ... Sigh. I DO have a good many cages I could press into service. But my trailer won't haul them all.

I'm not sure I can manage all the birds. Thanks for the heads-up. I need to be thinking about this.
Some friends of ours were moving and had a real old travel trailer they gave us because they didn't want to haul it. It needs to be stored out of sight because it isn't pretty, but we figure we could fit all our livestock animals into it, in case of fire. It probably would not make it farther than down the hill and is not street legal but we figure it would at least get them out of the fire.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Savingdogs, we have a pickup truck and a large car. And lots of animal carriers. Every time I see one at Goodwill Outlet store I get it! At first we needed them for the fosters and our cats. Then I started getting them to donate to our Humane Society, then I started saving them for our own use. They come in handy for lots of things, but we figure we can probably fit all our critters into the two vehicles, with the chickens, the rabbit and the cats going into the travel kennels in the car, the goats in the back of the pickup in a pen, the dog riding shotgun with one of us and then whatever else we can fit :p good thing weon't have a pig....yet. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
cabinchick said:
Shiloh Acres said:

That's why I have my 16' stock trailer. I can put all 3 of my horses in it, as well as the goats. The chickens can go in cages, as can the bunnies and cats.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
16 foot? Hmmmm ....

My trailer is 8 feet.

I've been thinking, maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

Dog and cats can go in the cab. Goats can ride in a cage in back of truck. Llama can go in trailer. Rabbits could ride easier if I had a bunch of pet carriers, as their cages are large. Poultry can go in the old rabbit cages. Some of the geese can go in the large dog cage somewhere. And I can section off part of the trailer for the rest of the geese, since I transported two goats and a llama in there before.

So. I just need small cages for the rabbits. And for the ducks notto grow. ;)

It might be more do-able than I thought ...

I would like the luxury of a HUGE long trailer though. Think I will keep my eyes open for a giveaway one, since I could do or have done a lot of structural work ....