Ever had your confidence shaken about your SS lifestyle?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
meriruka, your home is lovely!

my chickens always cheer me up, too! :D

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
meriruka said:
I spent some time with the chickens yesterday (56 degrees outside!
There is nothing better than chickie lovins when you are feeling down. :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I've had that feeling too...when looking at the pics of your place! I can't imagine what kind of castle your neighbor lives in.

Then I remember something my father often said "I cried because I had no shoes until I met another that had no feet."
This helps me to put things in perspective. This is my home, no matter how humble it may be I am grateful for it. We could be homeless, living in a tent or our car with absolutely nothing.
Okay so my home will never grace the pages of "Better Homes & Gardens", but more like that old ripped shirt ya just can't bear to throw away-it's comfortable, it's warm, it's home! :p

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know I probably just sound whiney and ungrateful. I'm really not.
I'd bet everyone here knows how much effort it takes to get your property into shape, grow/preserve food, care for animals, work at jobs, care for family, clean house. There is so much satisfaction in doing it yourself instead of just throwing money around to have it done for you. Every now & then though, I think- wouldn't it be nice to have someone stop by and I'm not covered in dirt, paint, grease, chicken poo, cobwebs, sawdust. No one ever drops in during that first 15 minutes after your shower........
Or, you see someone's house in spring bursting with flowers all around and you come home & see your 6 scraggly daffodils in some weird spot in the yard where the squirrels moved them and another piece of the porch swing fell off.
You know you won't give up, you know it'll get there someday and you know you'll be able to look around with pride and say "I did this!" but sometimes I just hope I live long enough to see it. :/

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love all the pictures. I'm such a visual person.

You're home is beautiful!

I'd love to see some pics of the grapevine over the arbor. As some of ya'll know, I'm not the best designer, so pics help.

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
meriruka - your house is not only beautiful but looks both homey & inviting. I think that is what people "see" rather than the unfinished bits & misc. furniture. Although, to me - from your pics - that is exactly what gives your home its charm.
We built a new house 6 years ago & changed our style from rustic country to minamalizism. I did keep a few of my most cherished "antique" pieces & some that were passed down from family. I then found furniture on Craigslist to "match" my ecclectic minimal new style but all were of rich colored fabrics or real wood. An ecclectic English/french country look with dogs & live song birds included! The living room, dining room & DD's loft bed all cost less than 1000.00 from Craigslist. If I say so myself the furniture was/is beautiful & of good quality.
I think we all feel nervous when someone new who owns huge homes with money to burn comes over. And I think what you are feeling is more a feeling of being tired of looking, finding, fixing to make your home what you envision in your mind. It is just a passing phase - we all go through it at times! If you had the money & did not object to the lifestyle choice & furnished it all in a month I do not think you'd be happier... just finished & looking for something to change!
I still have not stained the stairway (been 6 years!). And need to re-paint the hallway & baseboard! Have one bathroom that is only 1/2 wallpapered! But I get to it as I can. I work 60 hrs/week - wife works 60 hrs/week & we have a 11 yo at home. Plus 24 acres plus animals, plus family.... my goal is to eventually get it all done - but not at the expense of ignoring the child, garden, family & so on... Our house is clean & inviting & homey & the people who come over do not notice the unstained stairway or unfinished wallpaper.... most notice the warmth & the gardens (most do not realize part of the garden is WEEDS!) & the caged birds singing in the Living Room & the 6 dogs who are in & out.... the horses running through the pasture & the poultry scratching in the yard. Most people want to stay & think we live a fairy tale life full of animals & blooms. They do not "see" the undone things OR the amount of work it takes to have what we have. I used to worry - like you are now - until I realized the perception people had & realized that when I visit their homes I also "see" the whole & not the undone things.
Perception is a funny thing!!! LOL!!! But what I have learned is not to judge - whether you are in a mansion or a shack - it is not about what you "have" but how you receive someone... how you treat them & how much your choice of lifestyle is reflected in your home. Your satisfaction & peace about where you are in your life's journey.
As I said before - your home is beautiful & charming. Take a breather & relax - I am sure that when the neighbor comes by - she will be charmed with your home but moreso by your hospitality...

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. You have your priorities straight like a lot of others on this board which is why it's such a joy to come here.

You're right, I get tired. I fixed up two other homes and sold them which enabled me to buy this place and have no mortgage. At least this time when I'm done fixing, I get to stay here instead of selling it to someone who gets to just move right in with no work to do!
I'll be taking that breather you suggested, mainly because yesterday I managed to jam a knife into my hand while cleaning out the toolshed. Nothing too bad, but it scraped the bone and Whoo doggie - it's sore today. So, I get to loaf around and it's even warm outside!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
meriruka said:
I know I probably just sound whiney and ungrateful. I'm really not.
I'd bet everyone here knows how much effort it takes to get your property into shape, grow/preserve food, care for animals, work at jobs, care for family, clean house. There is so much satisfaction in doing it yourself instead of just throwing money around to have it done for you. Every now & then though, I think- wouldn't it be nice to have someone stop by and I'm not covered in dirt, paint, grease, chicken poo, cobwebs, sawdust. No one ever drops in during that first 15 minutes after your shower........
Or, you see someone's house in spring bursting with flowers all around and you come home & see your 6 scraggly daffodils in some weird spot in the yard where the squirrels moved them and another piece of the porch swing fell off.
You know you won't give up, you know it'll get there someday and you know you'll be able to look around with pride and say "I did this!" but sometimes I just hope I live long enough to see it. :/
I don't think anyone lives long enough in life to "see it all" and their wanted accomplishements.

I want tons. I ain't fooling no one. I can "take care of myself" sure, I can farm, butcher, (kinda) cook good, etc. I do my recycle etc.
BUT there are things I want. A HUMMER being one....which many hate, but I want one..LOL

Our homes gets tiring. We look around with that "for the future it will look like" project and it takes forever to get there.

Ahhh....don't be worried, I feel it also. I know what you mean!!!:)

But remember don't put life (the fun laughing enjoyable silly over the top fun of life) before "the life you want to "see" before your eyes.

make sense..LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
1002754cp0.jpg

1002762vb1.jpg

1002765ov9.jpg

1002828nq5.jpg

1002831bv3.jpg

1003520b.jpg