Excalibur dehydrator?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I have the Excaliber that my mom gave me over 25 years ago and I love it, my sister has the same one and does so much with hers that her DH bought her another one. She loves the new one because it has a timer and has both of them going summer and fall. I love my old Excaliber and if it ever goes I will get another one. The sheets for leather are also very nice nothing sticks, I use them when I dry sweet corn as well.
I just have to ask, you dry aweet corn? The reason I am asking is that I was always told that the sugar in aweet corn was converted to starch fairly quicky and the higher the heat the faster it converted. Also the conversion would even go on [much slower] even in the freezer unless the corn was blanched first. Do you blanch your sweet corn befor drying? how does it taste compared to fresh from the garden sweet corn? ~gd

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I dry some of it, I do blanch it first and if there is any left over from meals I cut and dry it as well. I use it in an old pioneer recipe that is similar to creamed style corn. If you want this "creamed" corn a little more smooth pluse it in the blender after drying and then add the corn to water in a sauce pan and simmer on low till fully rehydrated, add water if its too thick and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you want to add a touch of sugar to sweeten it you can but I like it just the way it is. I use my dehydrator but my SIL uses her old outdoor screen type dryer. She has to stir hers while drying and I don't. The only difference I have found is the color, hers is slightly darker. This also works very well for corn that is past its prime and has started to convert the sugar to starch. I prefer fresh from the garden super sweet corn hands down but I do love this way of cooking dried sweet corn. Saves freezer space and time in the canner when the corn is on.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Yes I dry some of it, I do blanch it first and if there is any left over from meals I cut and dry it as well. I use it in an old pioneer recipe that is similar to creamed style corn. If you want this "creamed" corn a little more smooth pluse it in the blender after drying and then add the corn to water in a sauce pan and simmer on low till fully rehydrated, add water if its too thick and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you want to add a touch of sugar to sweeten it you can but I like it just the way it is. I use my dehydrator but my SIL uses her old outdoor screen type dryer. She has to stir hers while drying and I don't. The only difference I have found is the color, hers is slightly darker. This also works very well for corn that is past its prime and has started to convert the sugar to starch. I prefer fresh from the garden super sweet corn hands down but I do love this way of cooking dried sweet corn. Saves freezer space and time in the canner when the corn is on.
:thumbsup Agreed! We dry our a couple of different ways. The cooking/drying method using an odd piece of equipment from my grandmother imparts a slightly nutty taste to it, as well as browning it.

IW

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Oh this sounds so good!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go for the Excalibur; it's been ordered, and should arrive this week or next.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Excalibur arrived, and I have dried a couple of loads in it. First impression: it dries food faster than the American Harvest that I have been using for several decades. But it is also decidedly louder. In my open plan house I would not let this run overnight, as I did with the other; it would be too loud. It is quite nice to have square trays without a center hole; certainly makes it easier to load and unload.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, that's good to hear! Sounds like you're happy with it. I just got my very first dehydrator, so I like reading about other's successes with theirs. Thanks for posting the mini review!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
congrats!!! glad it arived, and is being put to good use...thats too bad...you are finding it of a noise level...i do have mine go at night, and am not bothered by it at all..i really hope you are happy with your purchase..