Fall Homestead Tasks You Need To Do

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pipes froze up at Christmas last year. I had already cut water off and drained pipes, but lines to water heater froze. Stayed freezing for several days. Had 3 granddaughters here. Buckets of water in bathtub for flushing toilets. Pitcher and bowl for washing hands, no baths, cold. Son brought in a propane heater, it was so nice. Central heat is electric, the heater have us a place to go warm up. Added on utility room has LATTICE for underskirting. Guess I need to put up something solid for real underskirting this fall. LOL

Other than that, not much to do for winter prep.

In drought and serious heat here. I scored HAY and picking it up this weekend. Sheep are dry lotted, pastures are in bad shape. Feeding hay now. Rains will come in September or October, then winter grass will come on and that will help. I’m in summer drought mode right now, then will switch to winter mode. LOL Not much difference in prep. Common denominator-HAY!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We also put plastic up on the windows to keep the cold/frigid drafts out of the house and the warm air seeping out. We also change over to winter tires on the cars. And kinda like for lawn mowers-we make sure we have enough gas on hand for the snow blowers/plow truck (yep we have both!) and the generator in case of an ice storm
Oh, yep, that too!!

Snow tires!!!

And get the chains out/fixed for 4 wheelers, and bobcat. (Used to be also check chains for the plow truck... but that is now retired from plowing... we now use the bobcat instead)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow....just WOW for you northerners and snow.

While I do winter prep for making sure water lines in barn don't freeze, plastic on coops, get heated barrels ready (didn't even need to use last winter), truck and equipment antifreeze, etc.......no snowblowers here! Couldn't handle that for months.

We get a huge snow here every 10 yrs or so. Scared it's "time" again. 23 yrs here at this farm and twice we had over 10"....over a foot one of those. Last yr we had about an inch once and flurries another time. Every few yrs we may get a 4" storm 🤷. Melts in couple days usually.

Southern living....😁. Hot summers.