Fall Homestead Tasks You Need To Do

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did a check of one of the mouse nesting sites today (before seeing this refresh on this thread a few moments ago) and cleaned up the start of a small one. no big mess since i caught it early enough. refreshed my mouse deterrent down there (bleach in a jar with holes in it so the fumes discourage the mice from hanging out down there). i should check it about once a month, but i think i went close to two months this time.

eventually will get to some caulking and fixes to gaps i know about now from when i was staining the house last fall, but have not yet dealt with (they're up higher and so that means me working on a ladder up about 10ft so not too bad, but not something i really look forwards to doing - my preference is to work more down in the dirt sorts of things like gardening... :) ).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1. Rodent guards should be installed on trees
It is essential to protect young and establishing fruit trees from rodents over the winter months. Wrap these around the main stem of the tree, about 12 to 36 inches depending on the tree's height, pressed into the ground an inch deep.

It's easy to forget or miss some trees when you leave this job too late in the fall. When a heavy snowfall drives rodents far up into trees seeking shelter, skipping this task can be disastrous.

I found hardware cloth (sometime called rat wire) works very well and is inexpensive compared to tree guards. It also allows the tree trunk to breathe. Just be sure and check it often during the growing season so it does not become too tight and girdle the trunk. It comes in various lengths and widths. You want to wrap it around the trunk so it's a good one inch below the soil and also taller than your average snow accumulation PLUS a foot because of rabbits. I use 4 foot width because you can always cut it if needed.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Latest posts