Fall Homestead Tasks You Need To Do

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Faucets too low to the ground to even get a bucket under them.
I have underground to all lower fields. At uptake areas there are underground cut offs and a second spigot. There is a boxed area at each...think mineshaft....and I put insulation in a bag to place under the lid in winter. The portion above ground is cut off in winter. I have an inexpensive hose that expands and contracts, extremely lightweight and flexible, to use and bring inside.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
p.s. i've also decided that getting up on the ladder to do anything is just a way to find things you really don't want to know about anyways.

many more small to semi-annoying medium projects, but as they are up there they're not visible and none are emergencies (or i'd do them now), they're also not leaks in the sense of water coming in so no big deal right?

what they are is they could be ways in for bugs (Mom upset level goes down if i can keep more bugs out - so she gets those tasks and fixes from me gratis :) aka on the house harhar...) and mice, chipmunks, squirrels can also use them so they are worth taking care of eventually. that they are so high up means they're hardly used that i've ever noticed.

one maybe 20 minute project i will need to do someday is also to put a board back on that is likely just being held in place because of how the edge of the flat roof was done. it hasn't fallen off yet... that's the thing i keep telling myself but perhaps in the next few weeks i can deal with that project too...

that's about five new small projects and some touch up caulking and stuff that i won't even call a task, but it will be nice to do them sometime...

i should be writing all these down as i come across them so i don't have to haul the ladder around and look all over again, but i'm going to be hauling the ladder around anyways to do the eaves sometime so... i get to see it all again... no, i'm not having nightmares or anything. the closest i got to worried today was when the wind started kicking up and i was on the ladder and wondered if it was going to go up more that i'd not be able to finish what i was doing, but that didn't happen.

raining now... i get tomorrow and perhaps the next day off.

i do write a lot, it helps me organize my tasks. :)

a list of projects that need foam filling, caulk and then more stain over will be important because i only want to use one more can of spray foam and one more tube of brown caulk. so to not waste those it will be good to have a plan in my head for where to go with the can and fill things up and then move ladder and ...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1. Rodent guards should be installed on trees
It is essential to protect young and establishing fruit trees from rodents over the winter months. Wrap these around the main stem of the tree, about 12 to 36 inches depending on the tree's height, pressed into the ground an inch deep.

It's easy to forget or miss some trees when you leave this job too late in the fall. When a heavy snowfall drives rodents far up into trees seeking shelter, skipping this task can be disastrous.

I found hardware cloth (sometime called rat wire) works very well and is inexpensive compared to tree guards. It also allows the tree trunk to breathe. Just be sure and check it often during the growing season so it does not become too tight and girdle the trunk. It comes in various lengths and widths. You want to wrap it around the trunk so it's a good one inch below the soil and also taller than your average snow accumulation PLUS a foot because of rabbits. I use 4 foot width because you can always cut it if needed.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pipes froze up at Christmas last year. I had already cut water off and drained pipes, but lines to water heater froze. Stayed freezing for several days. Had 3 granddaughters here. Buckets of water in bathtub for flushing toilets. Pitcher and bowl for washing hands, no baths, cold. Son brought in a propane heater, it was so nice. Central heat is electric, the heater have us a place to go warm up. Added on utility room has LATTICE for underskirting. Guess I need to put up something solid for real underskirting this fall. LOL

Other than that, not much to do for winter prep.

In drought and serious heat here. I scored HAY and picking it up this weekend. Sheep are dry lotted, pastures are in bad shape. Feeding hay now. Rains will come in September or October, then winter grass will come on and that will help. I’m in summer drought mode right now, then will switch to winter mode. LOL Not much difference in prep. Common denominator-HAY!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm ordering new greenhouse tarps for the silkies this week. 2-3 years seems to be it for ones that stay up all year. The winter only ones last much longer. I need to replace a few zip ties on the roof tarps. Those may give me a 4th year as they are tight and regular heavy duty.

All silkies house are going up on cinderblocks. The hens can easily walk under so that should help with rats trying to nest under in the dry. Hermes can also belly crawl under. 2 done and a 3rd ready to go.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did a check of one of the mouse nesting sites today (before seeing this refresh on this thread a few moments ago) and cleaned up the start of a small one. no big mess since i caught it early enough. refreshed my mouse deterrent down there (bleach in a jar with holes in it so the fumes discourage the mice from hanging out down there). i should check it about once a month, but i think i went close to two months this time.

eventually will get to some caulking and fixes to gaps i know about now from when i was staining the house last fall, but have not yet dealt with (they're up higher and so that means me working on a ladder up about 10ft so not too bad, but not something i really look forwards to doing - my preference is to work more down in the dirt sorts of things like gardening... :) ).