Fall/Winter gardening - What can I grow?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Educate this southern hemisphere (VERY mild winter) native, please.

I'm itching to get some vegetables going in the newly cleared space in my backyard. Not too much for now, just something, and was wondering what I can grow this time of the year? Ireland's winters are fair mild, though this specific area I hear usually gets some snow over winter, but probably not until January or thereabouts. We can expect heavy frost in the meantime though. I don't have tunnels or anything fancy, but if needed can get some plastic sheets to cover plants overnight.

Back in S.A. we had moderate frost overnight and that was about as bad as it got and even that didn't happen too often. We grew cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, peas and broad beans over winter. So I'm thinking something along those lines? I can't get seed for much else easily, like squashes etc.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can always grow carrots with hay laid down on top. So I hear anyway, never tried it but they say you can even do that here (many feet of snow, freezes solid all winter, down to -20F). That's all I've got!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've grown broccoli in the winter....when it was going to get really cold I would just cover it with hay. That year we actually had a couple of freezes and it did just fine.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is good so far! I'd love to grow some broccoli and DS just loves carrots pulled fresh from the ground. I'd grow some for him for sure.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might be able to grow some favas, Cornsalad aka mache is the most hardy of all green- it won't even germinate in warm weather! Kale is incredibly hardy (which is why it's so popular in Scotland). I would also investigate various chicories and endives.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hmm, kale sounds like a good one too. I can add that to smoothies :) And give some to the chickens over winter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Try some pak choi....germinates like lightning, grows fast, cold hardy and good raw or cooked.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just planted some stuff today. About a month late!

I did carrots turnips and radishes. Radishes grow quick!

I might plant some kale and beets tomorrow

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many root crops do well if you just mulch heavy. Hey, if you don't want them the chickens probably will!