Fall/Winter gardening - What can I grow?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use turnips and rutabagas interchangeably for potatoes. My ever so picky son can't tell the difference when they're cooked in a pot roast.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been a couple months since this thread was started. Now that we're pretty much into winter, at least in some areas, I'm wondering how the winter gardens are coming along?

We've had a light freeze for about three mornings in a row but beautiful, temperate afternoons. I haven't been able to give my garden much attention lately, and I did absolutely zero protection for those light freezes. I was able to spend a few minutes looking a little closer this morning and it appears the only real loss was an eggplant that was just kinda hanging on. I suspect that the last pepper plant will succumb tooo, but everything else looks ok.

I had about given up on the mangel beets that I tucked away in a corner to grow for the critters. But, after all this moisture we've had for the last few days they're finally popping through. Looks like the broccoli, kale, turnips, leeks, and cabbage plants are going to come through unscathed.

I'm excited about that! Hope that they put on a growth spurt and start giving me some sustenance soon, lol!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hmmm....my fall crop failed. All I got was radishes.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah that sucks CR, learning experience?? There's always next year?

It's too cold here to do a winter garden, but keeping carrots under mulch for a January harvest is possible like NH mentioned. I worked on a farm that did it successfully. And kale is a possibility as was mentioned before too.

Definitely a bonus to be able to have fresh produce most of the year @frustratedearthmother !

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ah that sucks CR, learning experience?? There's always next year?

It's too cold here to do a winter garden, but keeping carrots under mulch for a January harvest is possible like NH mentioned. I worked on a farm that did it successfully. And kale is a possibility as was mentioned before too.

Definitely a bonus to be able to have fresh produce most of the year @frustratedearthmother !

I don't think I planted early enough. That's ok. This year as soon as I pull something I'm going to plant something else.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This year as soon as I pull something I'm going to plant something else.
Sound like a plan...that's what my grandmother used to do and she was the best gardener I've ever known. She lived on a tiny lot, was organic before it was even a "thing" and grew almost everything that went into her mouth.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I really wanted to grow something for fall/winter, but my arm injury stopped that idea :( I'm going to get the beds ready over winter and plant in spring and again next fall/winter.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Kyoto carrot from Baker Creek? Growing instructions say it's "only" for fall garden. What's up with that?! I was curious, but I'm not ready to commit to a fall garden for 2018.

Latest posts