Fall/Winter gardening - What can I grow?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Educate this southern hemisphere (VERY mild winter) native, please.

I'm itching to get some vegetables going in the newly cleared space in my backyard. Not too much for now, just something, and was wondering what I can grow this time of the year? Ireland's winters are fair mild, though this specific area I hear usually gets some snow over winter, but probably not until January or thereabouts. We can expect heavy frost in the meantime though. I don't have tunnels or anything fancy, but if needed can get some plastic sheets to cover plants overnight.

Back in S.A. we had moderate frost overnight and that was about as bad as it got and even that didn't happen too often. We grew cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, peas and broad beans over winter. So I'm thinking something along those lines? I can't get seed for much else easily, like squashes etc.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might be able to grow some favas, Cornsalad aka mache is the most hardy of all green- it won't even germinate in warm weather! Kale is incredibly hardy (which is why it's so popular in Scotland). I would also investigate various chicories and endives.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This year as soon as I pull something I'm going to plant something else.
Sound like a plan...that's what my grandmother used to do and she was the best gardener I've ever known. She lived on a tiny lot, was organic before it was even a "thing" and grew almost everything that went into her mouth.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ah that sucks CR, learning experience?? There's always next year?

It's too cold here to do a winter garden, but keeping carrots under mulch for a January harvest is possible like NH mentioned. I worked on a farm that did it successfully. And kale is a possibility as was mentioned before too.

Definitely a bonus to be able to have fresh produce most of the year @frustratedearthmother !

I don't think I planted early enough. That's ok. This year as soon as I pull something I'm going to plant something else.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I really wanted to grow something for fall/winter, but my arm injury stopped that idea :( I'm going to get the beds ready over winter and plant in spring and again next fall/winter.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can always grow carrots with hay laid down on top. So I hear anyway, never tried it but they say you can even do that here (many feet of snow, freezes solid all winter, down to -20F). That's all I've got!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've grown broccoli in the winter....when it was going to get really cold I would just cover it with hay. That year we actually had a couple of freezes and it did just fine.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah that sucks CR, learning experience?? There's always next year?

It's too cold here to do a winter garden, but keeping carrots under mulch for a January harvest is possible like NH mentioned. I worked on a farm that did it successfully. And kale is a possibility as was mentioned before too.

Definitely a bonus to be able to have fresh produce most of the year @frustratedearthmother !

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is good so far! I'd love to grow some broccoli and DS just loves carrots pulled fresh from the ground. I'd grow some for him for sure.