Fall/Winter gardening - What can I grow?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hmm, kale sounds like a good one too. I can add that to smoothies :) And give some to the chickens over winter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Try some pak choi....germinates like lightning, grows fast, cold hardy and good raw or cooked.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just planted some stuff today. About a month late!

I did carrots turnips and radishes. Radishes grow quick!

I might plant some kale and beets tomorrow

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many root crops do well if you just mulch heavy. Hey, if you don't want them the chickens probably will!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use turnips and rutabagas interchangeably for potatoes. My ever so picky son can't tell the difference when they're cooked in a pot roast.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been a couple months since this thread was started. Now that we're pretty much into winter, at least in some areas, I'm wondering how the winter gardens are coming along?

We've had a light freeze for about three mornings in a row but beautiful, temperate afternoons. I haven't been able to give my garden much attention lately, and I did absolutely zero protection for those light freezes. I was able to spend a few minutes looking a little closer this morning and it appears the only real loss was an eggplant that was just kinda hanging on. I suspect that the last pepper plant will succumb tooo, but everything else looks ok.

I had about given up on the mangel beets that I tucked away in a corner to grow for the critters. But, after all this moisture we've had for the last few days they're finally popping through. Looks like the broccoli, kale, turnips, leeks, and cabbage plants are going to come through unscathed.

I'm excited about that! Hope that they put on a growth spurt and start giving me some sustenance soon, lol!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hmmm....my fall crop failed. All I got was radishes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Kyoto carrot from Baker Creek? Growing instructions say it's "only" for fall garden. What's up with that?! I was curious, but I'm not ready to commit to a fall garden for 2018.

Latest posts