Family Cows for sale on Craigslist

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is about twice what I'd pay for a cross and still a bit steep if it was a young bred Jersey.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They DID seem expensive to me as well, but I was thinking that a person just starting out might be able to benefit from having a cow that was well trained to milk by hand, by machine, gentle and easily lead. Seems to me the guy is charging about a $1000 for the training. :hu

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
honestly he sounds like someone who's noticed the new market of people trying to learn hobby farming, and wants to make a buck off inexperienced people... i understand the need for training a cow to be milked by hand, but he also talks about training the cows to raise their calves... now, correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounded like he was trying to take credit for something that is a natural instinct to the cow :D the ad reads like he's hyping up an overpriced cow to people he hopes won't know better.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
honestly he sounds like someone who's noticed the new market of people trying to learn hobby farming, and wants to make a buck off inexperienced people... i understand the need for training a cow to be milked by hand, but he also talks about training the cows to raise their calves... now, correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounded like he was trying to take credit for something that is a natural instinct to the cow :D the ad reads like he's hyping up an overpriced cow to people he hopes won't know better.
this exactly!

Hillsvale

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we were at the auction last week.... the highest price cow there was 900. and she was a pure bred beauty

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I knew this ad would be a good conversation starter! :D

One thing to take in consideration as far as his "asking price" is concerned is that he is selling in an area that is suburb to a BIG city. Not as many decent milkers available in these parts.

Now that I have got you all thinking. What other things could we market to help out a raw beginner?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Maybe I could sell chickens trained to lay eggs? :lol: Although you can charge about $5 more for hens that are easy to handle versus the barnyard variety around here.

Hillsvale

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I knew this ad would be a good conversation starter! :D

One thing to take in consideration as far as his "asking price" is concerned is that he is selling in an area that is suburb to a BIG city. Not as many decent milkers available in these parts.

Now that I have got you all thinking. What other things could we market to help out a raw beginner?
the cattle sale I was at was 45 minutes outside Nova Scotia's "biggest city", I think he's trying tocatch someone really new and exuberant but al that will accomplish is loosing a customer the next time around.

what about a duck that doesn't quack (muscovy) ... probably get a few of those sold :lol: