FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I can't believe you all had a tornado. Must have been very scary. Glad you are okay though. Weird weather your way all the way around hasn't it been?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
OMG we have one he!! of a storm going tunred the goat shed into firewood. we're outside with the goats, coz they are feaking out.!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oh no. I hope you're able to get everybody calmed down okay. Did it just get the goat shed or did you have other damage? Hoping your garden didn't suffer.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
What a weekend! I had looked forward to having a fun weekend with my sister, brother and SIL.
The weather turned that idea upside down.
If it wasn't weird enough getting a tornado, we had a storm with freaky winds gusts. We were all sitting down after dinner and I was about to serve desert, when SO got me to come outside. He calimed it was some sort of emergency. I didn't believe him, because everything is always an emergency.
Then he pointed to the goat shed, or rather where it was a few hours before and the goats came running up.
We put the goats in the dog pen, where they were safe, but it is just chain link fencing on 3 sides. so we had to cover them up a bit in howling winds. Every time a tarp snapped the goats jumped. Poor Billy was the most terrified. I sat with the goats for about an hour, before they calmed down.
The carport I used as a storage shed, got torn aart. I mean the metal poles got torn apart. Covers from plastic bins got torn off and I use bins with handles that snap shut.

After our company left on sunday afternoon, I helped SO put the goat shed back together. He had already put most of the puzzle back together, but he couldn't put the walls back up by himself, or the roof. By evening the goats were back in their summer pasture and had their shed again. They were happily frolicking in their field.
SO and I dropped on our respective seating, dead tired and every muscle and joint hurting. We couldn't even make dinner and just had sandwhiches.

I was only too happy to babysit little GS today. What an excuse to sit and watch a little tv and put my feet up for the day! Little GS is just so cute. I love holding him and staring at him.
I am tired though. I think it will be sandwhiches again for dinner.
Tomorrow is errand running day :/ I would much rather work in the field. But then we are also in for some more nasty storms.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We sold Billy the buckling yesterday. I sold him for the same amount as we paid for him.
SO still thinks it was expensive having him, coz we had to feed him. He just doesn't understand that people charge stud fees, and that it would have cost way more to have someone come out with their goat or for us to take ours to them each time the girls went into heat. Not to mention the hassle!
Maybe they'll bring it up in "The Fabulous Beekman Boys", then maybe he'll get it. :lol:
It's bittersweet. He was a really sweet little billy goat. But I am not into having any more "pets". So now we are back to having only 2 goats.
I spent a night at DD's so that her hubby could get a full nights sleep. I took care of the baby for the night. I was pretty useless the next day. But SIL was feeling great for the the first time in weeks! DD has to take medication and it knocks her out for the night. So it all falls on her hubby's shoulders.
Now I am trying to get into a new routine. I will be taking care of DGS two days a week. And probably staying with them one night a week to help out with the nightime baby care. I have decided that I will not be doing any fostering of animals this year. I have my hands full with goats, chickens, plantings, grandbaby and hopefully goat babies. We are also considering hatching out some eggs, in order to sell chicks.
Oh boy. I need a bottle of extra energy, anyone have some to spare?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
My goodness, you've been busy! Hopefully you guys will catch a break with the weather soon. I'm sure your daughter is thanking her lucky stars that you're willing to step in and help with the GS.