FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you find that bottle of extra energy, send some my way. I could use it too.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Men are funny like that. Maybe you could write to the show and suggest they cover that topic. You might also find articles that talk about breeding fees from the Extension office or somewhere.

Good luck getting enough sleep.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't you mean, men are funny, period? (As in funny strange, not funny ha ha.)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
How's your new routine going? I read about your hay in the saving $ thread. What a great idea! Has your weather settled down at all?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Our weather is still topsy turvy. We had a little heat wave, then we had a frost two nights in a row and some rain and hail. Today was pretty nice though and I managed to get 3 loads of laundry dried and we got our hay in.
I also rototilled several small garden beds. BIL is coming tomorrow to plow the field. This will be the earliest the field has been plowed since SO moved back here. He is freaking out. He doesn't have any plants ready. In the past we have had to plant most of our seeds in pots, so they would be a decent size by the time our field got plowed. I keep telling SO, that getting it plowed sooner, means we can plant the seeds in the ground instead of pots. But it isn't sinking in. :lol:
I am getting into a new routine, but we are changing schedules next week. :lol: And I managed to get a Dr. apt at the community clinic.
I have been experimenting with making different kinds of bread. The basic white bread came out good and SO likes it. I tried making sour dough bread again, but it doesn't rise enough. It was a bit cold the day I made it though. But the taste and texture is good. I sliced some of it really thin, then put the slices on an oiled cookie sheet, drizzled olive oil over the top, sprinkled garlic powder and parmesan cheese and baked them until the parmesan was just about to melt, before the bread got too dark. These made yummy crackers.
The other bread I have been experimenting with, is whole grain bread. Pumpernickel style. This has whole kernels in it, mostly whole grain kernels and just a little bit of ground flour. I haven't quite got it, but I am getting very close. I have the taste down, and the kernels are soft, but the bread is rather crumbly. I think I need to add a little bit more wheat flour to it. Right now I am eating it anyway. I'll try it again when I finish this bit of bread.

I also made some of that black bean chocolate cake, but I made cupcakes and then made my own chocolate icing. Everyone loved it. I took some to our good neighbor and also some to DD and her hubby.

The good neighbor has been going through stuff in his house and bringing goodies to us. He has my size just right. I got a brand new pair of clogs - red ones, and a pair of brand new goat skin gloves. I have a hard time finding nice gloves that fit my hands, and these fit perfectly. It is amazing. SO is going to go over this week and wheedwhack his "lawn", so the neighbors won't turn him in :rolleyes:
I promised SO that I would make a sweet treat for him tomorrow. I was thinking lemon bars... I got to make some more yogurt too. SO has been eating it. He mixes it with marashino cherries and vanilla.
Now to do a little reading and then off to bed. Got to rise early again tomorrow, well early for me anyhow. :p

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I bet that will seem strange to plant seeds directly in the ground :lol:.

Lemon bars sound yummy! I think OFG was talking about them too the other day. You all can have your brownies and chocolate cake and donuts but leave the lemon bars for me!!!

Hurray for good neighbors!!! Your hands will thank you for those gloves.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey FD!

How is that adorable little grand baby of yours?

When do you guys usually get your plants in the ground? I already have one little itty bitty mater on one of my plants :woot sooooo excited! I have not had a garden in a couple/few years.