FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sunshine? I've nearly forgotten what it is! LOL.

More snow due tonight.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yeah abi, we got sunshine and warm. I am just loving it. I am actually too hot in my jeans and tanktop. But I am sticking it out, so I get acclimated to the heat for the summer. :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
What I did so far today:

I turned 26 eggs in the incubator
I checked on Mandy and the chicks, and replenished their water
I let the dog out and gave her breakfast of kibbles and turkey broth.

I decided to go to the goodwill outlet and look for a stroller. As soon as SO and DS left to go turkey hunting, I locked up the house and went to goodwill. I ended up with a baby chair that rocks, a portacrib, that had not been used, it has a flaw that I can easily fix, and then I'll either give it to DD or sell it. I also got some nice albeit plastic food storage jars and a little metal box with drawers for my sewing notions. All for $10. I expect to get $10 for the porta crib.

I did 2 loads of laundry and hung them up.
I fed Cecilia my lame pet chicken and took her outside
I fed the chickens some bread and apple pie (we weren't going to eat it, it was old)
I cleaned up in the front yard and filled the yard waste bin
I cleaned the breezeway, so we will no longer be attacked by the plants and gathered up a mess of snails, which I fed to the chickens.
I gathered eggs and checked on the chicks.
I did the dishes
I straightened the living room
I made sure everyone had water
I brought Cecilia back inside and fed her some more.
I gave the goats a couple of pieces of bread
I raked out the goat pen
I raked up the nasty weeds the neighbor cut for me in the goat pen
I turned the eggs in the incubator
I checked the forum several times

and now I am having some of my homemade wine :D

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hey FD! Looks like you're busy as usual. How're your goats? Did the cough ever clear up on the one?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I didn't realize that it had really been raining all afternoon until I went out to feed the critters their evening meal. By the time I was done I was drenched. I could wring out my socks and I was wearing thick warm ones today.
I found Mandy, our BO with chicks sitting in front of the chicken yard door with all her babies tucked under her. She looked like a drowned rat. I don't know why she didn't go into the hay barn, where it is nice and dry, silly girl. I grabbed up most of her chicks and put them in the henhouse. She of course followed and so did the remaining chick. I gave them their water and feed, so now they should be nice and comfy.
This is one of those days I am glad I still have the hay I bundled and a bit of alfalfa. The good neighbor also had dropped of some greenery earlier and so I didn't have to go and scrounge anything up for the goats in this rain. Every one got their evening ration of grains and they should be ok for the night. I will just have to make sure the chickens get locked up later. Oh, no, I just remembered, I locked the chicken door, when I put Mandy in the henhouse and forgot to open it back up. So I will have to go out there once more to open it, or my poor chickens will be so confused, because they won't be able to get in :lol:

Our chicken yard has a solid roof over part of it with roosts for inclement weather. So even if on occasion we are unable to let them into the henhouse, they still have a reasonably safe place to roost for the night.

I spent most of the day taking care of my grandson and sorting through pictures. It was fun looking at pictures from prior years. Especially the goats when they were little and I love looking at all my baby animal pictures.

I better get started on dinner. I plan on making a quiche type of thing. We have lots and lots of eggs. Earlier I picked pig weed and swiss chard and we have lots of swiss cheese too. I had meant to get some green onion also, but I am not going to now, since it is so wet out. I'll just use extra garlic.
SO thinks pig weed is poisonous. I think his uncle told him it was. I told him nonsense, I grew up eating it. I like it better than spinach. We used to call it wild spinach. I mix it with swiss chard and he is more willing to eat it. I have shown him where you can buy the seeds in seed catalogs and asked him, if he would like it better, if I "bought" the seed and planted it, instead of it being a "weed". He didn't go for it though. :rolleyes:

I also got enough strawberries to do something with them for desert. I just don't feel like making anything. I have had no energy lately. This rain isn't helping.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It IS poisonous to some livestock. http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/php ;keynum=12 I didn't know it was edible, but don't know that I'd want to eat the one we have growing around here-it's spiny pig weed, and has a bunch of thorns on it.
Looking at that link, I see that what I call pig weed and assumed to be that same as lambs quarters, isn't. What I eat is lambs quarters, not the plant that is shown in the picture in that link.
But the rabbits around here love pig weed (the plant pictured), so since the wild rabbits eat it, I have been giving it to our rabbit.

Thanks for directing me to that link, Denim Deb

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You're quite welcome. I've found it very useful if I'm not sure if a plant is poisonous to animals or not. And while it doesn't list all of the poisonous plants, it does list quite a number of them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's chilly and wet here too. We are expecting rain or probably drizzle for the next 3 days.

I think I'm going to light a fire today. Seems odd in May but oh well.

Have a great day!!

g