FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The house belongs to FIL. He had the front yard done in the 70's I think, during a water shortage. It used to be typical front yard with lawn and a couple of birch trees. I love the castle. It was done by a friend of his who studdied terrazzo tile in Italy.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi FD, catching up here.

I LOVE Suzie!!!! I am partial to frizzle hens. Or frazzle hens. ;) She needs one of those umbrella hats or better yet a nice Mexican sombrero. You are a good Mom to take such good care of her...I would have done the same thing.

I had a frizzle that would go broody when she was still rearing her chicks! They patiently sat with her while she was busy "setting". I had to feed them close to her so they would at least get something to eat!

Been meaning to ask you, what is up with your avatar? Is that Darth Vator?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My avatar is my shadow in our field as I am taking the picture. I am wearing one of my sun hats as usual.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Susie is neither a pet nor truly for SS reasons. I'm going to see what I can do for her. If it gets to be too much, there is still time for stew. There is not really enough of her to make much of a meal. :lol:
Since I have been bringing her inside and she gets to help herself to the kittens' food, her feathers have been growing back and she has stopped laying. She is not too keen on being inside, but she is too exposed to be outside all the time. We'll see.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow, busy lady! I love your pics! Poor Susie is one ugly little chicken....poor thing. Gonna look forward to reading more!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Loved the pics, FD! Poor Suzy!

Have you ever had her tested for Favus? Flaky skin in the beginning, loss of feathers, leathery looking skin and failure of the feathers to re-grow properly.

I know of someone who asked Dr. Peter Brown about this on featherfanciers. He suggested washing the area with Green Soap, apply Iodine mixed with Glycerine at the rate of 1 part Iodine to 6 parts of Glycerine; do this once. Then apply Lotrimin ointment liberally every day. Then after a couple weeks and noticeable improvement, apply Tea Tree oil liberally to the skin several times a day.

just a thought......

I watched a friend's flock while she went out of town a while back. Some of her chickens look pre-plucked, it was the saddest thing I ever saw. The problem at her place is over-crowding, boredom, and no outdoors time at all.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
My avatar is my shadow in our field as I am taking the picture. I am wearing one of my sun hats as usual.
Oh I get it, that is your shadow!! How cool, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, sorry. :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
keljonma, thanks for that input on Favus. No I have never heard of it! The symptoms don't sound right for Susie, but I like the idea of putting tea tree oil on her anyway. Her skin gets so red from exposure. I put aloe vera on her the other evening, but I think it irritates her, since she was trying to get away and her skin turned even pinker.
So far the only thing she doesn't react to, that does help is my homemade ointment She likes to eat it too :lol:
It is my all around skin ointment, it is great for rough skin or slight scratches and such, perfect for someone like me who is always getting her hands scraped in the garden.
BBH, it's ok. Just shows you have avivid imagination

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
keljonma, thanks for that input on Favus. No I have never heard of it! The symptoms don't sound right for Susie, but I like the idea of putting tea tree oil on her anyway. Her skin gets so red from exposure. I put aloe vera on her the other evening, but I think it irritates her, since she was trying to get away and her skin turned even pinker.
So far the only thing she doesn't react to, that does help is my homemade ointment which consists of lard, calendula blossoms and beeswax. She likes to eat it too :lol:
It is my all around skin ointment, it is great for rough skin or slight scratches and such, perfect for someone like me who is always getting her hands scraped in the garden.
I think the tea tree was recommended to clear up the favus and possibly help rejuvenate some feather growth. I think I'd still with the calendula and beeswax ointment, as it definitely would smell better. :D

Latest posts