FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We cannot let my daughter see Susie! She is obsessed with Frizzles, and she'll want her!

Bad enough I already have two chick orders in with two different hatcheries...........

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Quail, I could send you a couple ;) or maybe you would rather come and pick them up. The sun is supposed to come out this weekend and we have green grass too :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I just went back and looked through all the pictures......awwwwwwww. I can't wait to have another broody hen and more babies!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It's still foggy. They promised sunshine for today. I started up some laundry, so I could hang it to dry. But still no sunshine!

I WANT MY SUNSHINE. I am tired of cold and wet and dreary clouds!!! :barnie

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Clear and 48.
*throws self down on floor*
um so its like 9* out there....
;-)

FD - love the babies! the happy peeping just slays me! arent chickens amazing?

:)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I went out to hang the first load of laundry in the fog and lo and behold the sun came out :weee
So I quickly tossed another load in the washer (all the poopy chicken sheets and t-shirts) and picked up Susie and her chicklets and went outside. Boy did we have fun. I pulled weeds and Susie showed her little ones what was good to eat. Susie does not like slugs, so she taught her babies "screech, don't eat that, nasty!!!!", Oh well, I tried. We cleaned out several flowerbeds though. Me pulling weeds, Susie and the chicklets getting rid of cutworms and such and fertilizing the beds, before the next rain. They did the pulling on a worm trick and running around with a goodie game and had me laughing. SO came by to find out what was going on and we got to watch one chick eat the biggest cutworm we have ever seen, we were afraid she'd choke on it. But she got it down.
Around 3 o'clock the clouds covered the sun and the chicklets got chilly, so I packed them all up and put them back in their pen in the living room. After having a drink and eating some grains, they all snuggled under mamma and took a nap.

I went back out and this time gathered several buckets of oakleaves (and weeds) to put in the chicken house. Then I remembered the laundry and hung it up, taking the nearly dry stuff from this morning down.

Still not ready to go into the house, I pulled some weeds out of the garlic patch and fed them to the rabbit. He loved getting all that variety. Then I figured I might as well pull some of the weeds that were growing rather tall around the garlic patch. Mandy my BO was right there to help. After a while the rest of the chickens came to check what Mandy was getting and so then I had all of them helping me pull weeds. Well they were more interested in what I uncovered as I was pulling the weeds.

Then I heard sirens go by and a few minutes later the sheriff's chopper flew over, then circled and went around and around. That was the end of my peacefull afternoon. The sun was setting anyway, so I ushered the chickens into their house and locked them up. On my way back into the house I grabbed a handfull of millet sprays for Susie and her brood.

Now I am truly feeling tired and glad to relax, knowing that I got something done today.
I get to listen to chicks chirping and watch the little fuzzballs play and play a few computer games and watch some tv. Oh yes and go on the SS forum and get ready fo tomorrow -- friday --

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
An ambulance garage used to be located down the road from us to the north. We have a police station within 1/2 mile and a fire station a few blocks away in the opposite direction. In addition we live near a major highway, so I often get swooped by either the traffic copter or "Life Flight". Sadly I am so used to sirens I barely hear them anymore. :(

I wish the whole world was happy hen noises, wuffling horses, the breeze through tall grass and babbling brooks. :/

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I had a hen peck me in the eye once. Boy did it hurt. And I was worried that it damaged my eye. I had a bloody spot for a couple of weeks, but luckily no damage. The hen was just curious about the shiny thing on my face, I think.
Petey has been around the chickens and knows to watch himself :lol: He loves to tease them though.
I had that same thing happen to me... I just figured it was my own darn fault for putting my face where it could get pecked. Okay, so I didn't exactly "figure" that at the time. :lol: