FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
What a good dog! I have chick envy. I'm supposed to not get any this year. I promised. If Murray McMurray sold sexed silkies I'd be in big trouble (a friend is doing a group order) but they don't. I may be yet if the feed stores can get them for me or someone on BYC offers to add some to an order with a hatchery that does.... just two, maybe three. They're small!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, Spike is a great farm dog. We love her to death. She is just perfect for us. She even learned to watch for hawks and lets Junior the rooster know, so he can sound the alarm. I don't know just how they do it, but we've seen it happen. She'll follow a hawk or vulture around the yard, looking up most of the time. I expect her to run into the fence one of these days.
She is very nuturing with baby animals, wether its chicks, puppies or kittens. She helps pull out sunflower stalks, digs her own carrots and chases off any critter that doesn't belong in the yard.
She plays with my kitten and the rabbit. The rabbit stays in his yard and Spike will stay outside the fence, but then they play chase games on either side of the fence or the bunny will come up to Spike and they sniff each other, touching noses through the fence.

The last hatchling
239_last_hatchling_7503.jpg

A safe place to sit and nap
239_100_7511.jpg

Chicks are so messy, they have a dish of blackberries and a persimmon. Naturally they had to walk through the blackberries....

239_100_7506.jpg

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awwww! How sweet! :loveI can't wait for my hens to go broody this spring! :weee

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It's storming outside!!! The duck decoys are floating, the rainbarrel SO made yesterday is filling, the carrots are under water, the canopy in the chicken yard is blown over and in pieces, the sky is dark....I have good rain gear!!!....
We let the chickens into the fenced in chicken yard that has a sheltered area for them to hang out in. We moved the feeder and waterer in there, so they are set for the day. They were not that happy to be locked up, but this way they have a better chance of staying dry.
I fed the rabbit some broomcorn and gave him some dry kibble in his sheltered area. He was happily munching away on his goodies, I also gave him a persimmon, which he loves also.

Spike has not wanted to go outside, so we had to make her come out with us. Once she saw that we were out too, she ran aroud a bit, but was waiting by the door with a look that said, "please let me come in". Of course we took her back inside with us. She is now resting on her couch.

My kitty thinks he wants to go outside :lol: The old cermudgeony cat knows he doesn't and is staying on his spot on the comfortable chair, growling at anyone who comes too near.

I dug up some of the underwater carrots while I could still see them, so we can have them for dinner today or in the next couple of days. If we get as much rain as predicted, I might not be able to get to them. They'll be under too much water!!!

I had fun sloshing around outside in my rain gear. I didn't have to worry about getting wet. Once back inside, I was still nice and dry. The fire is going and heating up the living room. I should start a soup for dinner. That way, if we have a power outage, we'll still be able to have a nice warm meal, since we can put the soup on the wood stove to stay warm.
Now I think I'll go and watch Susie and her chicks ... :lol: Or look out the window and watch the storm...

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It was a stormy night. I listened to the rain pelting the windows and the wind whistling through the trees. The dog was next to my bed and the kitten at my feet. I guess the rain hitting the window woke the dog too and she came into my room to make sure I was safe ;)
The chicks were snuggled with their mama on the heating pad. The henhouse nice and secure and the rabbit in his little house.
I pittied the people who had to drive through this weather to get somewhere. I pulled the covers around me and was lulled back to sleep by the whistling wind and pounding rain.

239_100_7563.jpg

The next time I woke to a light grey sky. The front yard was flooded. After several cups of coffee and cleaning out the chick pen in the living room, I ventured outside.
We had a huge pond in the backyard. Some things were blown about, but no major damage.

239_100_7558.jpg

All day, I have been counting my blessings.
Coming back from an appointment, I was under blackened clouds, driving in the rain. In the distance I saw a bit of blue sky and the sun shining through. There was a mist hovering over the fields and the trees looked like a town, the tall redwood trees looking like church steeples.
I turned toward home and thought, it looks as if that bit of blue sky is right over my house. As I pulled into the driveway, it was!!!

239_100_7568.jpg

239_100_7566.jpg

Counting my blessings.... :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Those ducks are going to be upset when the new "pond" dries up! LOL