FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have been wanting to ask this question for some time, but was concerned it was foolish. Now, I am ready to be foolish, if need be.

I used to watch Martha Stewart all the time, and, oh, maybe ten years ago, before she was in jail, she was talking about the color of a chicken's eggs. She said that you could tell what color the eggs would be by looking at the chicken's ears. Now, I didn't even know chickens HAD ears, but she says it's true. Is it?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, if the chicken's lobe is white it will lay a white egg. Red lobes indicate brown eggs. As always there are excepetions to the rule. My ameraucanas do not have blue lobes and they do lay blue eggs.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
For those of you new to chickens the location of the "ear lobe" is easiest to see in a breed of bantam called the Black Rosecomb. The breed is spunky, sassy and they have enlarged ear lobes as part of their breed standard.

I showed Black Rosecombs as a kid. They are a TRUE bantam breed, which means they have no counterpart in standard size. By the way talk about eye candy! I think they are among the most beautiful of all of the chickens and as a rule they KNOW it! :D You should see them strut. ;)
The Black Rosecomb Bantam

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Black Rosecombs are just beautifull. I have considered getting one of those, just because they are so pretty.
Thanks for posting that pic, I had wanted to post one, but didn't have a good example ready.

Oh no, I slept in this morning! Til 10am :ep. SO did all the animal chores already. It was gloriously sunny this morning too, so I don't understand how I could have slept this late. Now the clouds are coming in getting ready for the next storm front. It is still pretty out though.

I'm trying to decide what to do today. I'm considering digging up the rest of the carrots and canning them, using my new pressure canner my folks got me for christmas.
I can certainly at least start the process and dig them all up, sort and clean them. Then I'll need to go straighten out the canning jars and prep them for use. I had them nice and organized in boxes, but as we kept using our canned products, they started getting randomly stacked. DSS usually is in charge of emptying the dishwasher and he is not concerned about doing a good job of anything :/ so they got placed helter skelter in, around and on top of the boxes I had started.
SO is picking up his weed whacker from the repair place. It needed a special part. He is going to see if the guy will barter for our produce. They went to school together. So the chances are good. Everyone loves our eggs, and we got plenty right now. We got other stuff too, but I am really pushing the eggs :lol:

We watched a tv show, "After Armegeddon" yesterday. It was interesting. They hit on a lot of subjects we batter around on here. It got SO thinking about it too. He started out saying, he would just patrol the place with his gun. I pointed out that he would have to sleep sometime and I wasn't willing to live like that. I'd rather just get out of dodge so to speak.
The other point that got across to him, was that the power would go out and anything that was in a refridgerator or freezer would spoil. That's when I said: "That's why I prefer to can and dehydrate our food" and he finally got it.

I'm off to do some work now.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how sometimes they get it when they hear it from someone else? :barnie

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Isn't it funny how sometimes they get it when they hear it from someone else? :barnie
Hahaha, yea. It's like that here all the time. I will be quoting all sorts of sources and try to talk sense, but until he sees it on tv....
I might as well be talking to the chickens :rolleyes: :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yup, at least now he understands why I wanted a pressure canner more that a deep freeze ;)
Next I want to work on a root cellar, :rolleyes:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Yup, at least now he understands why I wanted a pressure canner more that a deep freeze ;)
Next I want to work on a root cellar, :rolleyes:
Compare the root cellar to a refrigerator that doesn't need electric. Tell him it doesn't raise your electric bills but still helps. Then have somebody else mention them.
Are there any good you tubes videos about root cellars? Maybe he learns easier form watching than listening.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Compare the root cellar to a refrigerator that doesn't need electric. Tell him it doesn't raise your electric bills but still helps. Then have somebody else mention them.
Are there any good you tubes videos about root cellars? Maybe he learns easier form watching than listening.
He is definitely a visual learner. And I'll be doing all of the above ;)