FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got feed, food, chocolate and wine. You should be set for Armagedon LOL. You have allll the important stuff.
Oh heck yeah! :gig

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Dace said:
Just tell SO that you picked up a couple of cornish game hens for dinner :lol:
:lol: I actually showed him the cornish game hen in the freezer, I had purchased a while back.

Susie is back on a nest, her little ones are confused, but settled down in the lavender bed. I plan on leaving them outside tonight. Just not sure yet where. We have several options. We'll play it by ear and just observe how it goes this evening. My guess is that Susie will lead them all into the outside chickpen, which will be just fine. It has a small doghouse in it and we can cover it with some canvas for additional protection from the elements.

I am having DD and her hubby for dinner tonight. I figured it is one way to get me to clean the house. :lol: I don't have to clean it too much, since this is my daughter coming. She's seen the place at it's worst after all! But I really need an excuse to make myself get some cleaning done.
Getting the chickpen out of the living room will be a good start!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Those game hens are usually only about 3 weeks old!

I am with you. I would eat those little feather dusters! Just tell hubby it is chicken poppers!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think I have him convinced ;)

And Susie laid an egg. Hers are almost white, so it is really easy to tell. All our other hens lay brown or blue eggs, except for one. She lays a very light brown egg. I can tell who lays what egg to some degree. The Brahma eggs are a more pinkish brown.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Susie and the chicks are out of the house :weee
We covered the outside chickpen with a big sheet of plastic and they did just fine out there. But tonight Susie led them all into the big henhouse. There was a bit a squawking and much loud peeping, but they all settled down. The chicks in the little dogloo I put in there for them and the big hens on their usual perches. I blocked the opening of the dogloo a little so the little ones would have some protection from the big hens. They have been getting along fairly well, so I think it will be ok. I feel much better having everyone in the hen house together.

Here they all are. Someone called: "BREAKFAST"

1683_100_7793.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They seem to accept new chicks hatched by a broody into the "clan" so much easier. :) If you tried to put new chicks raised in an incubator into the coop their would be a war.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
They seem to accept new chicks hatched by a broody into the "clan" so much easier. :) If you tried to put new chicks raised in an incubator into the coop their would be a war.
I have found that to be true. I think having the momma introduce them into the flock, makes it much more acceptable to them all. I would not have been able to just leave the chicks in with the big hens, if I had raised them myself.
That is just one of many reasons, I like using a broody hen to raise our chicks.
These chicks are also very accustomed to us and will come running to us, if momma is not around. That is probably because I handled them so much since the moment they hatched.
If I squat down near them, I will quickly have 2 or 3 chicks sitting on me.:lol: