FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
They are still in road construction season that away, just as an fyi. I know that Interstate 94 was down to 2 lanes both ways this past weekend--makes for a lovely mess.

Lots of road construction on 94 in WI too :) Hopefully it won't be too bad for you all :)
Thanks. I do live in Ohio where the orange traffic barrel is our state flower 😀

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I seem to always get melancholy this time of year, decreased hours of daylight, summer wishes unfulfilled, garden finishing up, (not) looking forward to snow. It was easier when I was doing the full-blown gardening and chickens because I was more "in sync" with the seasonal heartbeat. Time to get the SAD therapy light back out

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I seem to always get melancholy this time of year, decreased hours of daylight, summer wishes unfulfilled, garden finishing up, (not) looking forward to snow. It was easier when I was doing the full-blown gardening and chickens because I was more "in sync" with the seasonal heartbeat. Time to get the SAD therapy light back out
I hear you there. We're starting to wake up before sunrise. I struggle with dusk. Not SAD, but close enough. the temperature/low light is a C-PTSD trigger for me. Now that I understand that this year, I'm learning to cope with it and retrain my emotional response. I hope light therapy helps you again this year!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plenty of sunshine in Texas-and the heat to go with it. In winter, it can rain, rain, rain,did I mention rain? I don’t get depressed, but I sure can get tired of rain. My new farm is flat-ish, with low spots. I need more rock in the driveway. Got a summer rain and I like to got the diesel truck stuck. Winter ought to make it tons of fun.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to switch out my lightbulbs to lower cost LED ones, so that I could afford to turn on lights in the house. Otherwise at dusk and later, I fall quickly into depression.

one bright daylight bulb would do it. there's some that give off a ton of light for 10-20 watts - i use one for sorting beans and it's great. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plenty of sunshine in Texas-and the heat to go with it. In winter, it can rain, rain, rain,did I mention rain? I don’t get depressed, but I sure can get tired of rain. My new farm is flat-ish, with low spots. I need more rock in the driveway. Got a summer rain and I like to got the diesel truck stuck. Winter ought to make it tons of fun.

first year learning about water flows on the new land is a good observational period. then you know what to fix or divert and where to build up or put in ponds, berms, etc. :) to me that is the fun stuff of any land. i love playing in water works sorts of things. wish i had some actual elevation here. 2-3 ft change in most of the 400ftx200ft. a few big ditches down 6-8ft. too bad i don't have enough room here to dam and build water wheels on those because they do flow almost all the time. could generate some juice...