FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
"In the IT world, we never really work a full 40 hours a week," he said.

hahahahahahaha....wish I coulda known this before I invested 6 years of college in a different major.
I think it depends on the actual role/job and how deadlines/deliverables are defined. When I was more technical, I would agree with the less than a full week comment. It was "get this done by this date", the culture of the environment governed whether or not you broadcast if you were completed early

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What was your role/position?

started as simple programmer, eventually made it up to systems programmer and doer of anything that needed to be done. ran mainframes, minis, pcs and some odd things too. 15yrs total at one organisation but had two very different careers. 8yrs in one then 7yrs of much more fun and much more different things but also when it was done i was ready to move on.

(the funny answer came to mind immediately was "bent over")...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
started as simple programmer, eventually made it up to systems programmer and doer of anything that needed to be done. ran mainframes, minis, pcs and some odd things too. 15yrs total at one organisation but had two very different careers. 8yrs in one then 7yrs of much more fun and much more different things but also when it was done i was ready to move on.

(the funny answer came to mind immediately was "bent over")...
Yeah, support roles never have much downtime. Had two jobs where I was basically on call 24x7. Hated it.

Most of my career was application development and managing projects. Lots of downtime

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, support roles never have much downtime. Had two jobs where I was basically on call 24x7. Hated it.

the last 7 years i was on call. before then it wasn't constant but at times it was still overtime. doing the degree at the same time meant i was juggling some crazy hours with all the labs plus working as a programmer.

school was much more interesting than any project so i tried to go for a masters degree but hit the wall on that one after a year and decided to not finish. AI stuff was the major focus of the masters. heh...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Next round of curtains delivered a day early yesterday afternoon. The wife got through two boxes yesterday while I was out. Happy dance.

Rearranged the master bedroom a little bit in the morning. Began preparing the laundry room for work in there coming up - basically moving boxes in there so I can easily put up curtains.

Wife needs to get through around 8 boxes in the kitchen before I can finish it up

The last wall repaint in my office is still staring me in the face. Lolol