FarmerJamie - A new beginning

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was at an auction where announcement was... property sold. Then rights sold. BUT then together, with parcel being sold to the together bid, IF IT WAS MORE than two single combined. Now that was real first for me!! WTH??? Only time I've heard that.

Strange.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Jamie, we just sold a house in North Carolina. The appraisal value was ridiculously high. We had multiple offers but I already know the right couple got it. The housing market is very much a seller's market right now. 2019 & most of 2020 was very much a buyer's market. You're gonna need a quick draw to purchase a nice home in a good location nowadays.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I’m just a clueless New Englander 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣 my husband said occasional places here don’t have mineral rights (properties near old mines, etc) but for the most part that just isn’t a thing here.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
T
I guess I’m just a clueless New Englander 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣 my husband said occasional places here don’t have mineral rights (properties near old mines, etc) but for the most part that just isn’t a thing here.
Totally new to me. There is sand mining here, but a sand mine cant be within 1,000 ft of my property, so I am protected. I know someone who sold to a sand mine and let's just say they will never worry about money again.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we bought the farm, it also came mineral rights. Coal is "generally" the mineral that's most widely available around here.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is very common in Texas for the mineral rights to be long ago sold away from the land. The oil boom years and following years, oil rights buyers would go to the farms and ranches, offering money for the mineral rights. In many instances, the hard scrabble farmers saw it as manna from heaven and sold their rights.

I have some friends that are multi millionaires because of mineral rights. He is in his 70's, maybe 80's and his grandfather was a doctor, back in the days when he rode a horse to see his patients. Grandfather and father built their own hospital maybe back in the 1920's or 1930's, both were doctors. (torn down years ago) many patients were very poor and couldn't pay. The doctors shrugged it off and told people to will them their mineral rights when they died and they did. So my friend decided as a young man that he would develop those mineral rights and became wealthy. Then they got into cell towers and own cell towers all over east Texas.

It is rare now that mineral rights are sold with the land. If the land owner has all or part of the mineral rights, it is separate and negotiated on a separate contract. Now there are wind rights. Who wants towering windmills on their property and not owning them? it's a nightmare out there.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I was at an auction where announcement was... property sold. Then rights sold. BUT then together, with parcel being sold to the together bid, IF IT WAS MORE than two single combined. Now that was real first for me!! WTH??? Only time I've heard that.

Strange.
This is crazy. I talked with someone at the particular auction, the auctioneer was chastising the crowd to bid higher on the property itself. Evidently got a lot of pushback.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So, the slow purge of stuff continues. I made myself a commitment that every week the trash can would be full enough to prevent the lid from completely closing. We don't have cardboard recycling here - the local idiots used the public recycling bins to dump trash instead.

I have made some progress in the basement and garage. Small victories, right? This winter I intend to go though the kitchen cabinets and downsize more. Some stuff will be packed up and targeted for selling (tons now of Hull dishware - we don't need 20 dinner plates). Pots and pans galore, can't even completely close that particular cabinet door. My youngest used to volunteer at a local place that collected cookware, clean it up, and donate to needy families. Will probably donate there.

Part of the issue is we really don't know all of what we have. My mental block is I need to make a bigger mess to make the mess smaller.

Do have several boxes of books for my eldest. What she and her husband don't want, they will sell to a used book place near them

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I think the easiest way is to reduce multiples of an item. "Make space for change."
Yes, but I am fighting my preference for "one and done", meaning, get everything related completed together. Without seeing the whole collection, I can't remember what I have or don't have. In just the kitchen, we have 2 dozen+ paring knives. I know there is almost a dozen brand new boxed up in the basement. I had a set in use, the wife had a set in use, and she bought more at one of those "Dutch auction" type places because "it was too good of a deal to pass up".

The Pfaltzgraff collection from the first marriage filled up an SUV when I took it to my pal to sell online. Picking away at it would have taken even longer.