Farmers Market Help!

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok so as I sit and wait for the things I planted to grow (yes I started late) I am going to go to the farmers market here in town. I have no idea what a good deal on veggies is since I am new to this whole thing, I only know grocery store prices (sad but true). Any suggestions on buying in bulk to use over a few weeks? How do you keep them from going bad? What types of things last for a while? Approx. price that would be a good deal? Any advice will help since I am clueless LOL. Thanks!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's in season for you right now?

Since prices and availability will vary from place to place I think you just need to talk to local people about what a good price is. Around here if something is in season you notice a glut and subsequent drop in price on that item.

When it comes to keeping for a while, it totally depends on the veggie or fruit. Some things keep quite well in the fridge if you don't smother them in plastic bags (causes ethylene gas buildup so things ripen/rot faster).

I can keep broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage in tasty condition for a couple of weeks in a tupperware container with a grid on the bottom, lid cracked for everything but the carrots--lettuce keeps up to a week this way. Peas and beans pretty much need fresh eating or blanching/freezing. Cukes and zukes are good on the counter top unless it's really hot, then they do ok in the fridge. Tomatoes on the counter top until you cut into them, refrigerate leftovers if there are any.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I can't keep zucchini out. It dries out around here so fast.

I have used those green bags in the fridge and they do work pretty well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Take a look around, do your best at making choices, then come back here and we'll tell ya what to do with the bounty! Whether to blanche and freeze, eat up, store in fridge, etc. Don't wash anything until checking in! Washing can hasten spoilage in many fresh items.

After you go for the first time, you'll have a better idea. You might bring a notebook or index card and write some prices down so you can check them out against store prices...or here...so you can plan your next trip with more confidence.

Ask if things are grown with or without chemical help....organic, etc. I say "etc" because many small farmers use organic practices but can't use the word because they can't afford the certification. So ask.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another bit of advice.... only buy what you know you and your family will eat. I've gone overboard at the market before, buying fruit or veggies that were a novelty, and most of the time it was a waste of money. And don't buy more than you're willing to eat or put up. A whole box of tomatoes for $5 is a good deal, but not if you don't have the time/energy to deal with them after getting them home.

Whatever is in season for your local area is usually a better deal at a farmers market compared to the grocery store. For example, the sweet corn is coming in here. The grocery store has it on "sale" for 8/$1, but my farmers market has it for 12/$1. Bell peppers at the grocery store are $1.69/lb. or more :ep but at the farmers market they are 4/$1 for nice big ones.

I seldom buy fruits and veggies from the grocery store, but I always do a quick run-through the produce section just to check prices.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Just last week the stores had summer squash for $1.98/lb. They were 5/$1 at the farmer's market.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, that reminds me, ingredient-type veggies are often easy to process and store in the freezer for later convenience when cooking. I usually have bags of scallions, peppers, onions, and herbs in the freezer for quick cooking later. They can all be washed, cut up, and frozen without blanching. I flatten them out in ziplocs so chunks can be broken off to add to whatever I'm cooking.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My area may be unique, but my farmers market often has higher prices than the grocery store.

When times are tight, I look at the grocery mailers and build my menu for the week around what is on sale. When I have a little more money to spend I enjoy buying local fresh produce from the FM.

Good luck!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
That's because you live in Bizzaro World aka California :D